Chapter 1 - A New Beginning

[Play Video Whilst Reading]

Our story begins with a large explosion of fire and plasma, decorating the nearby land in a deathly radiance. This was -of course- the destruction of the Ark, a powerful superweapon used by the Prometheans to activate the Halo Rings and destroy all organic life.

The hero of this story was the Master Chief. He was a Spartan-II, kidnapped and trained by Doctor Halsey to eliminate anything that could threaten the survival of the human race. Mere minutes ago, Chief had deployed a tactical pulse within the Ark and destroyed it.

Now, the towering soldier was left in a half-destroyed ship with no hope of survival, the warship still within the Ark's blast radius. It was only a matter of time before the plasma waves and flames reached the cruiser and tore it -and himself- apart.

After everything he'd experienced in the Human-Covenant War, Chief honestly expected his life to end on the battlefield. Perhaps that's why he wasn't surprised to feel the intense burning of his flesh beneath his armour as the Ark was ignited and destroyed.

He'd finally managed to silence the Prophet of Truth, eradicate the infamous Flood parasite and finish the Fight. With Humanity's future secured, the Spartan-II could rest knowing he'd succeeded in his mission to defend his people.

Using every ounce of strength he could muster, Chief began dragging his damaged body up towards the control panel before grabbing onto its sides. He allowed a breath of pain to escape his lips as he lifted his form against the panel, analysing the screen.

Cortana: "Chief......we're not going to make it."

Chief: "I know."

Cortana: "Then what are you doing? You already know it's pointless."

The hulking Spartan remained silent as he slowly shifted his gaze behind him, sneaking glances at a nearby weapon capsule. Such pods were often used to deploy important equipment on nearby planets where marines and Spartans were currently on missions.

Cortana noticed his glances, and immediately rose to object once she pieced together what the Master Chief was planning to do; she didn't want to leave the man alone during his final moments, unable to say goodbye.

Cortana: "Chief, no! I'm staying here-"

Chief: "No. You're not."

Ignoring the woman's pleas, the Spartan-II stumbled towards the capsule and tore Cortana from the back of his helmet, sparks flashing as a result of the grinding metal. Placing the AI chip into a canister, Chief carefully put the small object into the canister with grimace.

He then proceeded to grab an emergency distress beacon -gifted to all Spartans for missions- and stuffed it into the military capsule. Lifting a shaky hand towards the side of the wall, Chief closed the main pod and slammed his fist on a red button, sending it away.

Cortana: "JOHN!!"

Silence overtook the control room as the Spartan slowly looked out of a cracked window, watching as Cortana's capsule was sent away from soon-to-be-destroyed warship. A powerful sigh escaped the man's lips as he suddenly fell upon the floor and sat against the wall.

At this point, the explosion from the Ark had began racing through the ship and burning the metal into a dense liquid. Chief wasn't worried, however; by the time the flames reached him, the ship would've already exploded from the intense heat and pressure.