chapter one | juniper langley's somewhat normal life

It had practically become second nature for Juniper Langley to wake up before her alarm every morning.

There was no way to stop it at this point. She was beginning to not mind it, for she enjoyed the stillness of the early hours, finding time for herself before her fiancé, Eric Farley, woke up for work. With her mug of coffee, Juniper sat at the table, taking small sips while mentally preparing for either a long or short school day ahead of her. She knew getting a master's degree in public health was no joke, and she was grateful that she only had seven months left until she would be done with school for good. She just hoped all of the hard work she was putting in now would be worth it in the end. It was wishful thinking, but Juniper was ready to have the life she always wanted, which included a stable job that she loved with a loving husband by her side, one that would support her until the end, through all of the ups and downs. She had daydreamt about it more often than she'd like to admit, and it was a good thing that Eric was just as excited as she was.

Honestly, it was the one thing she wanted to prepare for in her life at the moment.

Once Juniper was done with her coffee, she placed her mug in the sink and grabbed her journal from her backpack, opening up to the page she was currently on, going over what she had written a couple of weeks ago, with it being the most recent entry:

September 22nd, 2006

Dean Winchester (pretty sure that's his name as many times as I've seen him) is driving again alongside someone else. It's the same person as before (name is still unknown). A blonde girl named Jo (Dean knows her, I think. They seem to be familiar with each other) is there, too. No idea what the connection is, but this is the first time seeing her at all. They're heading for Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, according to Jo. Why are they heading there? What's there that's so important?

Juniper really had no idea why she saw this, but it was horrifying enough for her to wake up in the middle of the night. Even though that wasn't the worst thing she had seen, every dream or vision, whatever it was, they never became less terrifying, always something new that could make her skin crawl. So whenever she woke up after having one, she wrote it down as soon as she could gather her thoughts, remembering every detail, despite wanting to be rid of them. The pages were filled with nothing but nightmares she had on certain days, along with the names associated with them, and it never seemed to end well for any of the names she had written down.

Well, Dean Winchester seemed to be the only exception so far, but why him? What made him stand out from the others?

Juniper had no idea what any of the nightmares meant, and there were no clues to help her figure out the answers. All she could do was wait until another one came along, even at the most inconvenient times. She had no control over them, and that bothered her, along with the fact that they all seemed so real, as if they were going to happen soon. Now, almost one year after talking to a psychiatrist and being prescribed medication for anxiety, which had been altered a few times already, Juniper still didn't see a change, and she was nervous about telling Eric that.

She jumped at the sound of Eric's alarm going off in the bedroom, not realizing how much time had gone by since she woke up. Closing the journal, she quickly put it back in her bag before he saw it. Eric had always been respectful of Juniper's privacy when it came to her journal, but she still didn't want the temptation to come over him if he spotted her with it.

Eric strolled in the living room as he let out a yawn, then turned towards Juniper. "Good morning," he greeted her, a grin on his face, leaning down for a peck on her lips.

"Good morning to you, too," she replied, smiling back. "I went ahead and made coffee."

Eric chuckled. "Well, then, I'll go ahead and scramble some eggs for us."