chapter eight | the search for answers

"Hold on, you blew up a car?"

Juniper laughed at Sam's question, nodding her head and swinging the beer bottle in her hand. "Yeah, I did."

"And it was badass," Danielle added.

"Well, I'm glad you ladies had fun while we were too busy dealing with Duane Tanner's parents," Dean spoke up sarcastically.

"Oh, don't be so upset, Dean. You'll have plenty of opportunities to have some more fun on cases." Danielle smirked his way.

Dean rolled his eyes in response, working on the beer in his hand.

The four, given the limited amount of sleep they got after leaving River Grove, decided to get out and enjoy the sunny day with a beer (Danielle having a cigarette, too), at a nearby point before they hit the road again. It was a peaceful view of the lake, with only the birds chirping around them. Sam and Juniper sat on the low fence, swinging their legs, while Dean and Danielle were leaning along the wood, staring out at the water. With everything that had happened just a few hours ago, Juniper felt some sort of tranquility just sitting there, even if it was just a moment she would only have for right now.

"So, last night..." Sam spoke up, breaking the silence as he turned over towards his brother. "You want to tell me what the hell you were talking about?"

Dean shrugged. "What do you mean?"

"What do I mean?" Sam raised his eyebrows. "I mean you said you were tired of the job and that it wasn't just because of Dad."

"Wait, you said that?" Danielle intervened, looking at Dean. "If I remember correctly, you're the one that got Sam back into the business. Isn't that right?"

Juniper figured this happened after she and Danielle left the exam room last night, confused at what was said and anything that happened between Danielle and the brothers before Juniper met them.

Dean shook his head. "Just forget it, okay?"

"No, I can't. No way."

"Look, I thought we were all gonna die. You can't hold that over me."

"You can't pull that crap with me, man. You're talking."

"And what if I don't?"

"Then I guess I'll just have to keep asking till you do."

With a scoff, Dean turned around so that his back was now leaning against the fence, being in the same direction as Sam. "I don't know. I just think maybe we ought to..." Trailing off, he gave some thought into what he was about to say next. "...go to the Grand Canyon."

Those were the words no one expected Dean to say.

"What?" Sam asked.

"Yeah, you know, with all this driving back and forth across the country, I've never been to the Grand Canyon." Dean turned to face Juniper. "Have you ever been to the Grand Canyon, June Bug?"

"No, I haven't," she answered, drinking more of her beer.

There were a lot of places she hadn't been to and maybe now was the time she could go and visit those places, despite the situation she was in with Danielle and the Winchesters. Even though they were the last people she expected to be with, especially long-term, the idea of going somewhere such as the Grand Canyon wasn't necessarily a terrible plan. In all honesty, the four of them could use a little fun in between jobs, given how everyone's lives had been going recently.

"It sounds fun, doesn't it?" Dean inquired. "Or we could go to T.J. or Hollywood, see if we could bang Lindsay Lohan."

"Really?" Danielle scoffed at his second statement.