chapter two | trouble in paradise

The next day, once Juniper and Nancy were done with classes by the early afternoon, as Fridays were usually their shorter days for lectures, they decided to do some studying outside at a table while eating lunch from a food truck near the campus. It was a nice day out with the sun being out and the wind hardly blowing, occasionally swatting a few bugs that tried to get into their food. There were more students outside today, which meant they were enjoying the weather just as much.

"So, how did last night go?" Nancy asked, breaking the silence to recuperate from reading.

Juniper looked up from her textbook and stared at Nancy, who was sitting across the table. "What?"

"The dinner with Eric's parents. Was it as terrible as you expected it to be?"

She let out a chuckle, picking out a french fry from her plate. "It was okay. Tense, yes, but I managed." Just from thinking about last night, she couldn't help but have a distressed look on her face.

Nancy, taking notice of this, raised her eyebrows. "They brought up the wedding, didn't they?"

"And suggested we move back to Annapolis again," Juniper added in a tone of annoyance. "It seems like that's all they want to bring up around us."

"Maybe it's their way of punishing you."

"For what?"

"You already know what."

Juniper rolled her eyes and leaned back in her seat, the breeze slightly blowing her way. "Yes, well, I think they like to hold grudges."

Nancy flipped her auburn hair back, about to pick up her small cup of ranch to pour all over her salad. "Do you think they'll ever let it go? You know, when you convinced Eric to follow his dreams of being an engineer and not become a doctor like the rest of his family?"

Juniper shrugged her shoulders. "I have no idea, but I'm sure if something were to happen with Eric's job that his parents will find a way to blame me for it." Pausing, she huffed a sigh. "Somehow, it'll all blow up in my face, even if it's not my fault."

"I wouldn't even worry about it, if I were you," Nancy stated. "You and Eric love each other, and that's all that matters. Don't let his parents get in the way of it."

Juniper nodded her head. "Yeah, you're right. I try to not let them get to me, and Eric knows that. Believe me, he's just as annoyed as I am about it." At this point, she thought Nancy was tired of hearing the same things being said about Eric's parents.

Nancy, however, always listened attentively, as if this was the first time Juniper ever mentioned it. "You know, you two could always elope."

Wide eyes was Juniper's reaction, surprised that Nancy would even suggest such a thing. "What?"

"Seriously, if everyone is getting on your asses about it enough, then why not just go to the courthouse and tie the knot?"

Scoffing, Juniper shook her head in disbelief. "You're crazy, Nancy."

"Oh, come on, June. Maybe it'd be a blessing in disguise, saving you and Eric from all of the stress and hassle with a big ceremony."

"One that you wouldn't attend if we eloped."

"Hey, as long as you two are happy, then so am I."

Juniper let the idea sink into her brain. Eloping had been the last thing on her mind, especially since she and Eric were set on a ceremony from the moment they were engaged. As cheesy as it sounded, getting married in front of their family and friends meant a great deal to them. Still, Nancy had a point about everyone adding more pressure about the wedding, and maybe it wasn't a bad idea to keep the proposition in the back of her mind, just in case.