chapter four | talking to the moon

Sunlight hit Juniper in the face as she fluttered her eyes open, letting out a groan. Squinting, she sat up, rubbing her head. When her eyes were wide open, she looked around and saw she was in the backseat of a car with a long, leather jacket covering her. Her mouth felt dry and dirty, along with the intense pressure pressed on her bladder that felt like it was going to burst and the back pain that was slowly creeping up on her.

At first, she was confused, forgetting where she was for a brief moment. Then, she remembered the events that occurred the night before, and her heart sank just by thinking about it again.

Huffing a sigh, she leaned back against the seat, turning her head to see she was at a gas station. While Dean was pumping gas, she saw Sam inside with snacks and drinks in his arms.

"Afternoon, sleepyhead," Dean greeted her through the rolled down window, to which she jumped at the sound of his voice.

"Afternoon?" she repeated, puzzled as she shrugged off the jacket. "What time is it?"

"A little after one. Been on the road for ten hours," he explained.

"And you didn't think to wake me up?" she retorted.

"You had a long night," he told her. "Sam and I thought you deserved some rest after...well, you know, what you had gone through."

She nodded her head. "Right. Where are we, anyway?"

"Manteno, Illinois," he replied, taking the pump out of the car once the gas was filled. "Just nine more hours to go."

"Where are we going?"

Dean sighed, getting inside the car, turning around to face Juniper. "Somewhere safe. Trust me, no demon or any other supernatural creature will find us where we're going."

Juniper, while a bit skeptical, didn't ask any more questions. She figured if she made it this far with the boys and was still alive, then she could still trust them. Hell, she needed answers with what was going on with her, and after what happened with Eric last night...

Eric. She missed him so much.

"I'll be right back," she quickly said, stepping out of the car and heading for the trunk, getting her toiletry bag and then hurrying towards the store, finding the bathroom as fast as she could. Closing and locking the door behind her, she felt better after freshening herself up and relieving herself. But when she looked in the mirror, all she wanted to do was cry again, but she had no more energy to do so anymore.

When she was done, she went back to the car and put her things in her duffle, closing the trunk and getting back into her spot. Even though Dean didn't say anything else when she got back, she noticed the way he eyed her, looking a little concerned.

A minute later, Sam was strolling out of the store and towards the car, his hands filled with junk food and bottled beverages. Opening the car door with his free hand, he settled in the driver's seat, first handing Juniper a variety of chips and granola bars, along with a slice of pizza in a box and a few bottles of water. Juniper's stomach grumbled just at the sight of it all.

"The pizza is still warm," Sam told her. "I figured you'd like some real food."

"Thanks," she said, shooting him a small smile as she took the food and water from him, spreading them out along the empty seats beside her. She was grateful for it, seeing that she hadn't had a decent meal since yesterday's lunch.

"Hold on, where's the beer?" Dean questioned in an annoying tone.

Sam groaned. "Dude, there's beer at Bobby's. You'll survive for nine more hours without it."