ii

As Eddy walked towards the avenue of Brett's house for the one-millionth time, a wave of nostalgia hit him. When they were kids, they hid a pebble in the bush over there; when they were in university, they busked over there; when they decided to end Twosetviolin because of money and found an orchestra job instead, they parted ways there.

He gazed across the area, feeling the soft breeze and content warmth of sunshine glimmering on this back.

Eddy felt more nervous as he got closer to Brett's house. He didn't know why he was petrified about it --- he should be happy.

He was fine without Brett and had always been. He didn't need him or wanted to see him anymore.

However, that still didn't answer why he was afraid. He had never felt so stressed, so terrified, and so timid in his life. What a faint-hearted person; but he couldn't recognize his feelings of the cause.

As Eddy placed his knuckle an inch away from Brett's wooden door, he took a deep breath. He looked at the old scrubby door, the varnish of the oakwood still remained. And there, he moved his wrists three times. He had done it.

Eddy opened to see a figure with smiling eyes under the layer of round glasses, a sweet twinkling smile, teeth brighter than sunshine.

"Hey, Eddy!" The figure exclaimed with a small wave.

He waved back, "Hi Brett." He didn't know why, but his voice sounded timorous.

Fidgeting with his jacket, Eddy looked down at Brett who stood in utter silence. He walked into the cozy house as nothing had changed throughout the years. He tried to avoid gazing at the framed pictures on the wall, of himself and Brett when they were still friends, smiling brightly at the crowd. Eddy settled himself down on his friend's couch, clutching his backpack tightly and not moving an inch.

They sat together in stillness. The silence swallowed him up like a crater, dug up in the mud. Hollow mine shafts --- sweet small bites of an apple, small champs of a heart. 

They both felt the tension whatsoever. They both tried to ignore it.