Chapter 8

Of course, Dirik had won the chess match. Although it was never the first thought on his mind he just loved the familial time that he got to spend with both his parents.

He never really spent that much time with his older siblings as they were either off with their friends or have already come of age and left the house. It was the reason why he spent so much time enjoying his life with his family and servants, it was in time like they became one big family altogether. They cared for one another as they would toward their kin and were typically open with one another, confiding in each other if they needed help with something.

An unexpected few inches had fallen to the ground and laid a white blanket of sparkling snow on the ground, shimmering for all to see.

Dirik loved the snow. He loved the crunch that it makes and the smoothness of it just after it had been freshly laid down. The shimmering sparkle that it gives as the sun's rays glints off of it. The winter in Lancia was calm the cold of it was still negative but the air was incredibly fresh soothing unlike the warm humid air of the summer.

Dirik grabbed on his coat made from the thick fur of a bear's skin and leather. Enough to keep anyone warm in the below-freezing weather. He had gloves made of the same leather as his coat. The pair of gloves and coat had been a gift from his father on his fifteenth birthday. The coat when he got it was as big as the size a knight might wear at his age then.

He thought it was probably an incentive for him to become a knight, just like his father had been. Dirik's father had been trying to get his sons to become knights since the moment they were born he had not convinced his older brothers to become knights instead they left the house right when they came of age rarely visiting.

Walking out into the snowy field just outside the chateau it was warmer than he thought icicles were hanging from some of the pine trees. While many of the other trees were covered in the snow all around creating a breathtaking view of the hilltop.

There were was a small opening in the woods behind where he lived he doubted anyone had ever even noticed it since people rarely journey to the edge of the forest.

Dirik had carefully explored the forest. He went there whenever he needed a breather or wished to be alone or think without the pressure of those around him. Sometimes though he just went into the woods to be by himself so that he can explore and see more of the serene nature of the woods.

The snowbirds chirped and sang in the air. Snowbirds were like small little snowballs. Their feathers were as white as the freshly fallen snow in the middle of January crowded together and tufts of fluff. They sang songs of sweet melodies that were able to make a person forget how cold they are.

The woods were dense, but the small path that he had made from trekking through them throughout the years had created some open space for him to walk freely.

It was the first time that Dirik had come to the woods in winter. Typically it had been too cold to even venture outside the house. But, he was glad that he made the effort to come out here.

Even though it was far away he was faintly able to see an opening in the trees where the shining snow made it bright enough to illuminate the snow on the trees surrounding the slot.

Curious about the light that he had never seen before in this little forest, Dirik made his way toward it. Another adventure that was ready to begin.

At first, the opening didn't look that far away. Only now, did Dirik see looking back in the direction that he had started in and how far he had walked. As well as just how much more there was to walk. Still, he did not let that stop him as he continued forth on his journey to see for the first time what that opening of light in the forest.
It was farther than he thought but when he finally got to the opening panting from trampling over the underbrush and through small trees that had fallen to sleep for the winter to come, he saw a gray muddy spot in the distance. It was so blurry and far away that he couldn't make it out at all.

Nonetheless, it just piked Dirik's interest. A new adventure found its way into Dirik's hands and he wasn't just going to look the other way.

Determined to figure out what the large blurry thing in the distance was he set on forward. It wasn't as much of a tedious walk as going through the woods was. But he never knew there was an opening in the woods at all until the next territory so he had never created any paths in the direction towards it.

He was there in less time than anyone could think he had half jogged trying to keep his body that was beginning to get cold, warm. It was at least a mile considering that when he looked back he could only see the outline of the trees.

Hopefully, it doesn't snow. If it did in fact snow during his time exploring what he could now see was some abandoned building ruined with age he wouldn't be able to follow his footprints back towards where he lived.

There wasn't an entrance to the ruins as most of the walls were in crumbling heaps of stone. Most of the snow had eroded from the fierce winds and cold winds.

Walking around the small ruins Dirik was amazed this place was so full of age. What used to be here? What could this have been? How old is it? Thousands of questions flowed through his mind the more he looked around.

A few of the disastered walls were covered in dead vines some brown as they were asleep for the winter.

Turning the corner of another wall that was crumbled where only the corner of two connecting walls stood he saw several vines that were like all the other ones he'd seen combined. It was not only that, unlike all the other vines that were either dead or hibernating from the cold these vines they were alive. Each of the dark green, it was not only that but they were also secreting warmth. A warmth that made it so warm and hot that he wanted to take his thick fur jacket just so that he could cool down.
Deciding against that though as it could just be an illusion of warmth he kept his jacket. Mesmerized he walked towards the heap of vines he wondered what was the cause of it.

Hidden in the vines there was a little statue of a girl around his age huddling herself together as if she was freezing. A magnificent purple sword was clutched in her hand unmovingly.

The sword glowed faintly, grabbing Dirik's attention but when he turned back to the sword it was like it was not even glowing at all. Like it had never glowed before in all its existence. Of course, if it did glow that would just be absurd swords don't glow.

Dirik's inquisitiveness caught up with once again, as he felt drawn to touch it. So without thinking Dirik touched the sword none of the consequences of what could happen were in his mind. As he touched it there was a bright golden light so bright he closed his eyes and he could still see it.