Chapter 10

Aline woke up in a cold sweat with a headache banging in her head.

When Aline looked around at her surroundings. Where was she? The room was dark a small window with long draped curtains that blocked out all the light but the tiny sliver that snuck through.

Curious she started moving, getting up from the loosely tucked covers of the bed she had been laying on. She was barely able to see anything besides that sliver of light that tried its best to shine through.

The bed creaked as Aline stood up. She walked toward the light desperate to get out of the darkness. The curtains were long and heavier than she expected the ones back at the academy and her castle was fairly light and flowy. Though they were not hard to move.

Once the curtains were around the pegs that kept them open and in place, the room was much brighter. Lighting even the darkest corners of the room to a bright golden hue.

Turning around Aline noticed that there were clothes lain out on the bed that she was just in. Hidden within the clothes was a scrap of parchment half-tucked into one of the pockets of the skirt.

The letters could be compared to the elegant dance of a swan.

Miss,
I am extremely regretful.

It appears that the young master of this house had brought you here to this manor without your consent.

I have laid out a pair of clothes that look like they would fit. Though they may be a little big or tight.

Again my apologies, you probably have no idea where you are. I would be scared too if I were put into your shoes. If you wish to find me check if it is day or night. During the day I will be at the manor, which you can see directly from the window by your bedside. If it is however night time I will be in the room directly to the left.

Feel free to wake me up. This old lady will help you in her young master's spot.

-Martha, Head Maid

Well, at least I have some insight into my current situation. With that Aline decided to put on the clothes that were laid out on the bed for her.

She now wore a deep blue skirt and a ruffled cream blouse. Deciding that it was day Aline thought to go look for the person who had written her the little note. Slowly she opened the door and even though she was trying to be as cautious as possible the door opened with a loud ear wrenching screech.

Aline had only opened it slightly when she decided that it would be better for everyone if she just slipped through. For some odd reason, Aline's heart was beating nervously. She did not know the reason for but she guessed that the cause must have been from the silence of the building and the outside combined with not knowing where she was.

Following the wooden planks that led her to a spiny and winding staircase, she continued to walk forward trying to find an exit. Martha said that she could find her in the chateau which was undeniably the one she saw through the window of the bedroom she had been sleeping in.
The whole building looked the same a couple of public washrooms close to the bottom of the staircase. But except for that, all there were rooms upon rooms which seemed to be no doubt empty and covered in a thin layer of dust just like their handles.

A large door was at the end of the hall two lamps on either side as well as a slim window, which was not large enough to see through from where she was standing. Aline walked closer wondering what could be on the other side.

Through the window the dim white of old snow mixed with the brown-green of dead grass. Aline walked quicker towards the door now sure that it was the main door that led to the outside.

It did not seem cold after she left the building. There was a path of gravel and flattened grass. The path led somewhere but as there were trees she was not able to see thoroughly through to the end of the path.

Aline followed the path, rethinking her choice of leaving the servant's house. The melting snow that surrounded her was not freezing but still provided her with a chill that ran through her every couple of minutes.

The sickly smell of dirt and dead plants mixed with snow radiated through the air and a cold brush wisped past her. The breeze made her shiver and her teeth chatter at the coldness.

The trees began to thin out and the faint view of a small chateau came into view. As well a little old woman hanging out cloths to dry in the warming but chilly weather.

This rushed Aline's pace. She was hopeful that the woman would be the same person who had written her the little note.

"Do you happen to be Martha?" Aline said to the taught woman.

"My goodness child. You appear to be half-frozen. Yes, I am Martha. But first of all, let us get you somewhere warm."

Martha led Aline inside through the big arched front doors and right to the fireplace.
"Thank you, Martha."

"Oh, you do not have to thank me. It is hardly your fault that the two of us are in this mess in the first place. I am just doing my job as your elder. Anyway child why did you not take a cloak? I am sure there was at least a few hanging beside the door."

"Well, I did notice them. It is just I did not know if I would be even allowed to use them at all."

"I see. However, the only thing we can do now is to warm you up and wait for the young master to come home."

"He was the one who brought me here. Was he not?"

"He did indeed bring you here. Though he has not done much after that."

"Where is he that he can not come here now?"

"The young master is on his usual route through the marketplace in the village."

"Oh. Then I hope I am not intruding." Aline then half-whispered to herself, "Maybe I should have stayed in that room."

Martha seeming to have heard her said in an articulate voice, "Nonsense child, the Count and Countess are wonderful people. The young master plans to introduce you to them once he gets back."

Count and Countess. Aline kept in mind their statuses. Though indeed her status was above them she did not know if they would even know her.