Birthday Boy {Tom Riddle}

Pairing: Tom Riddle x Reader

Summary: Reader knows that their boyfriend doesn't like celebrating his birthday, but that doesn't stop them from surprising him with a gift of their own.

●○●

"Why do you have to cover my eyes?" Tom asks, and you can picture his typical frown almost perfectly.

You bite your lip to keep from smiling so much. It's no secret that you're way more excited than he is. Tom has never been the type to care about big events like this but you certainly are the type. Especially with this one, since It's the very first birthday you spend with him. "Because you can't see what it is, obviously. That's the point of a surprise." You answer from behind him.

You're both heading towards the Astronomy Tower, sneaking past the students who stayed at Hogwarts in order to spend New Year’s Eve there. The whole way, you ignore comments like "This is ridiculous" and "I could be doing homework right now, you know". You only roll your eyes and hold back a giggle; sometimes you seriously wonder how in the world you ended up falling in love with such a cranky boy.

When you finally manage to climb up the tower without stumbling or tripping, you make him stop in front of the small setup that you prepared for him earlier. Your hands are still covering his eyes successfully, despite the height difference between you two. "Okay... you can look now."

Once he can finally see again, Tom blinks a few times at the sight in front of him. A small, round table and two chairs are neatly placed on the balcony, where the starry sky can be seen just as clear as a picture. Two wrapped-up boxes were on the table, alongside a messily frosted chocolate cake, which is also topped with the numbers 1 and 6. You stand next to him to see his reaction but, just as you expected, you're met with a blank stare. If it would've been anyone else you'd be offended, but you're just glad that he's not grimacing at the gesture. "Do you like it?" You find yourself fiddling with your fingers, a sudden wave of nervousness running through you.

He finally turns to you while raising an eyebrow. "You did this, all by yourself?"

"With a little help of magic, of course." you laugh but it sounds shaky.

Tom doesn't answer your previous question but, instead, he starts making his way towards the table and you follow him. He takes the thinner box in his hands and stares at it curiously. "May I open it?" he asks without averting his gaze.

You can't help but chuckle. "Of course, you can. It's yours."

At your words, Tom begins to tear up the wrapping paper, still managing to look as elegant as ever. If it was you unwrapping the gift you'd look like a lunatic.

When he finally opens the box, he finds a brand new quill. It's beautiful and graceful, just like him. At least that's what you think. The corner of his lip lifts up slightly and then he looks at you, again, with a knowing look on his face. "You made a comment about needing a new quill, so I thought you'd like that one." You smile but It's hard to meet his eyes now. You were so excited before, but now you're just really hoping that he likes the gifts. You honestly did not think about how nerve-racking watching his reactions would be.

Without saying anything, he places the box on the table once again, then proceeds to grab the other one. You keep watching him, hoping for the best. Once the box is open, a nice leather-bound journal is revealed, and you gulp as he takes it out. "I saw it at a Muggle store and, well, it just..." you explain. "I don't know, it reminded me of you."

Tom opens it, flipping through the blank pages and softly running his fingers through them. When he's done doing that, he looks back up. "It could come in useful," he says.

You almost sigh in relief but you cover it up with a confident smile. "Well, I'm glad you like it. Would you like to try the cake?"

"I might as well..."

You both sit down and, after cutting the cake with the wave of your wand, you serve him a piece. "Did you make it?" he asks, poking it with his fork.

You nod, feeling your face heating up. "I know it doesn't look too appetizing, but I tried to follow the recipe as accurately as possible."

He finally takes a bite and you can't help but wait for his reaction before you even touch yours. "Well, It's edible." he comments. The fact that he doesn't puke it and immediately goes for another bite, instead, gives you a bigger assurance.

You're both mostly silent as you eat the cake, with only the soft wind outside breaking it. It's a nice change from the loud chatter happening at the Great Hall, and you know Tom feels the same way. "Why did you do all of this for me?" he says.

You stop your movements and stare at him in disbelief. "Uh, because you're my boyfriend and I like you?"

"But you know I don't really celebrate my birthday, and yet you still took time to buy me gifts and bake me a cake." he points out.

You shrug. "Birthdays, to me, are special. It's the day you were brought into this world, so if you hadn't been born I never would've had the chance to meet the oh-so-great Tom Riddle."

He looks down at his now empty plate. "I wouldn't say that the day I was born was too great, though."

Your stomach drops as you remember what he told you a while ago. His father had left his mother, and she died after giving birth to him; it is understandable why he's not too fond of his birthday, but the last thing you want is for him to feel that way.

You take his hand from across the table, caressing it with your thumb. He tightens the grip and it takes you by surprise. "I want to make you happy, Tom," you tell him. "I want you to enjoy things like this and know that I'll never let you spend another birthday alone, ever."

He laughs quietly and the sound of it makes you grin. "I guess It's not too bad if I have you here."

You quickly stand up and fall into his lap, wrapping your arms around his neck. "Then, I'll be here for your next birthday, and then the next one, and the next one, and the next one, and the-"

Tom shuts you up by crashing his lips onto yours. It's not like you mind it, though.