This Is War {Fred Weasley} - II

Pairing: Fred Weasley x Fem!Reader

Summary:  After avoiding Fred for so long, (Y/N) finally has to face him again when they're paired up for a Potions assignment.

●○●

"Are you still not going to talk to him?" Daphne asks me during lunch, the same way she has asked me every day for the past few weeks.

Ever since I told her about my little... moment with Fred, she hasn't stopped talking about it one way or another, even when I've asked her plenty of times not to. She seems to have become obsessed with the idea of him and I getting together because, according to her, we'd make "an oddly cute" couple, and also "because there is nothing interesting happening in my life and I want to live through you". I don't know what's gone wrong with her head; I have made it extremely clear that the kiss meant nothing to me, that it was just something that happened in the heat of the moment when I was dampened and terrified and he was the only one there giving me the slightest bit of comfort. Either she still doesn't get that, or she just doesn't want to. "For the last time, Daphne Greengrass," I say through gritted teeth. "No. And It's the last time I'll say it."

Daphne whines like a toddler. "But why? It's clear that he wants to talk to you!"

The kiss happened nearly two weeks ago. After I fled the scene, Fred made numerous attempts to approach me, but I would always find a way to cut the conversation short or avoid it at all costs. He seemed to finally get the hint because It's been a few days since his last attempt. The only one who hasn't gotten the hint yet is the girl sitting across from me. "He has his own life to worry about. I'm pretty sure he dropped it already, and so should you."

She pouts as I stab a piece of pork chop and chew on it. "How are you so sure if you haven't even talked to him about it yet? Maybe he doesn't want to make you uncomfortable and he's just waiting for you to reach out to him."

"Forget it, Daphne, there's nothing to talk about," I state firmly. "I made a stupid little mistake, that's all. It's not like I'm going to go ahead and do it again."

"I bet you want to, though," she mutters as she drinks from her cup.

Her voice is low, and she thinks she's sneaky, but I hear her. I refrain from saying anything else about it, though. It's no use trying to convince her otherwise.

Fortunately, Daphne does not bring him up for the remainder of our lunch, nor does she bring him up while we learn how to turn vinegar into wine during Charms, or when we're fighting not to fall asleep during History of Magic. I begin to think that maybe she's finally gotten the hint until we arrive at the Potions classroom.

Professor Snape places a small bubbling cauldron on top of his desk as we all walk in—Gryffindors on one side of the room and Slytherins on the other. Through the corner of my eye, I spot the unmistakable pair of redheaded twins, sitting two tables to my right, and I fight the urge to turn and see if one of them is looking. "Settle down, all of you," Professor Snape says in his usual dull voice. "Today, aside from your usual class, you will be placed in pairs for a special project. You will have to work with another student and brew the most powerful Truth Serum to ever exist—the Veritaserum. While it is very easy to sneak it into someone's pumpkin juice, the brewing process is long and complex. That is why you'll be working with a partner to make this potion. The longer its effect, the higher your grade."

A Gryffindor boy raises an arm and Snape turns to him with a sneer. "Does that mean we have to work on it through Spring break?"

"Unless you want to fail, then yes, you should start on the first day of Spring break."