Chapter 16: Day 4: ClotPole

It's here.

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Merlin looked at him then away. "About what?" He felt stupid as soon as he asked. Of course he knew what it was about.

Arthur stepped closer to him. "What do you think?"

Merlin frowned at the floor. "How I feel about you."

Arthur stopped walking and now was right in front of Merlin. "Yes, That's correct."

Merlin could see Arthurs shoes and he looked up to stare into his eyes. "Please, don't make me say it again. We can pretend like I never said it. Please let's just pretend." He had desperation in his eyes. He really didn't want to talk about this. He didn't want to be hurt again or rejected. Knowing that he didn't feel the same way was bad enough. Merlin didn't think he could handle being told so. He turned around and started making the bed. "We can act as normal."

Arthur watched him for a moment then crossed his arms. "I don't want to pretend, and frankly I can't." He had a long time to think about it during the night and he decided that Leon is right. 

Merlin froze with one of the blankets in his hand. He held it tightly and refused to look at Arthur. "Why not? I would be so much simpler for us both." 

"Don't see how you figure that. Simpler for you maybe, and I don't think it's that easy for you either." Arthur uncrossed his arms and walked over to the bed. He grabbed the blanket from Merlin's hands and tossed it aside. "Merlin tell me again, how do you feel about me?"

Merlin's face burned hot with shame, embarrassment and anger. "I love you Arthur."  he closed his eyes. "Why are you doing this to me?" he whispered. 

Arthur knew he had hurt him again, but he was going to make it up to him this time. "Because you said it to me yesterday and I didn't reply. I've had the words swimming in my head this entire time and it will kill us both if I don't say them." 

Merlin held his breath and opened his eyes. He looked at Arthur and saw a soft look on his face. His lips turned into a small smile. Even his eyes, which were red with exhaustion gave away his feelings. "...Arthur..." He didn't dare let himself hope. 

Arthur lifted his arm and brushed his fingers against his cheek. "Merlin...how do you feel about me?" 

Merlin shivered at the touch. "I love you." He said and this time his face turned red from blushing. 

Arthur smiled at him and cupped his cheek. Pulling the other closer and wrapped one arm around his waist and used the other hand to angle his face to deeply kiss him. It felt like magic had exploded in his body when their lips touched. Arthur had never felt something so amazing before in his life. He's kissed only a few people, and no one ever gave him this feeling. At first, he didn't feel Merlin move or respond to the kiss, so he was going to pull away. However as soon as he was about to, he felt arms go around his shoulders and lips move against his. Arthur made a grunt of approval and then stepped forward. The back of Merlin's knees hit the bed and they both fell on top of it. It broke them apart and they both laid in each other's arms slightly breathless. 

"Merls.."

Merlin looked at Arthur and couldn't believe what was happening. His thoughts were a jumbled mess of, "He kissed me, he kissed me! He kissed me and now I'm hugging him. I'm hugging him and laying in his bed!" He swallowed and asked. "Yes?"

Arthur moved his hand and brushed hair off Merlin's forehead. Glad that he could now without restraint, "I love you too Merls."

Merlin looked at him and his eyes filled with tears. "Arthur....you.." He didn't know what he wanted to say. "You prat... Why didn't you say so before!?" 

Arthur chuckled. "Do you mean while Leon was there and that dragon? Or do you mean before that when I first figured out my feeling for you? Because the answer to both is that it wasn't the right time." 

Merlin wiped away his own tears and then wrapped his arms around Arthur's waist. He shoved his face into the prince's chest. "You're a clotpole."

Arthur smiled and reached up to play with his hair. "Still not a word Merls."

Merlin blushed at the name and pulled away to look at him. "Arthur...do you really mean it? You do know that if you give me this and then decide it's to much...don't give me this if you're going to take it from me."

Arthur held him tight, "someone told me that a kingdom with an unhappy king makes an unhappy kingdom. I have decided that he's right. I can't rule this kingdom without you. I would never be happy with some princess. I'd never be happy if I had to marry someone other than you. My father lost my mother and look what he's done because of it. The people aren't loyal to him just because they love their king. They are also afraid of him. I don't want to be like that. I don't want my people to fear me. When I become king the first thing I will do is right the wrongs of my father. I think it's time that Camelot sees magic once again." 

Merlin looked at him stunned for a moment before leaning forward and kissing him. It was a quick kiss, and he was soon pulling away. "Arthur...Prince Arthur of Camelot. You will be a fine king. The best that this kingdom has ever seen, and it would be my pleasure to serve you."

Arthur shook his head. "You will not serve me when I am king. You will rule with me. As court sorcerer and if you want...as queen."

Merlin gasped and he looked at him with wide eyes. "You...are you proposing?"

Arthur hadn't meant to, but it seemed that was the road he was taking. Now that he said it, he found he didn't want to take it back. "Yes. It will be a while before we can be public. Before I become king and can make my own rules and marry whomever I wish but yes. Merlin of Ealdor, will you marry me?" 

Merlin bit his bottom lip and tears went down his face. He nodded his head. "Yes." 

Arthur smiled widely and leaned forward. He kissed him and pulled him close. The prince had never been happier in his life then in that moment. Laying in the bed and kissing the man he loved.

Merlin kissed back till he thought of something. He put his hands on his chest and pushed him away. "Wait."

Arthur looked at him confused. "What?" 

"I want a ring."

Arthur raised an eyebrow. "You want...a ring?"

Merlin nodded. "An engagement ring."

Arthur frowned. "I will get it for you of course but...you know you can't wear it right?" 

"I know. I'll put it around a string and wear it as a necklace. I just want something to prove that this is real. A reminder that we will be married after you become king." 

Arthur smiled and turned on his back. Pulling Merlin to lay on his chest and cradled his head on his chest. "Then I will get you a ring." He said. 

They laid there for a few moments more, enjoying being close to one another, before Merlin got up. "I have to go see Gaius. I also need to pack if we are going after the bodies. You should rest till then." he said as he got out of the bed. 

Arthur let him get up and watched him as he moved around. "Alright, find a way to get a wagon quietly. We will need it to transport them." 

Merlin nodded. "I already thought of that. I have a plan; you just rest and I will take care of things." 

Arthur smiled and closed his eyes. "Alright." 

Merlin grabbed a cloak out of the closet for later and threw it over the changing screen. Then picked up the blanket that was thrown aside and put it over Arthurs body to keep him warm. "I'll be going now." When he didn't get a reply, he assumed that the prince was asleep. So he turned and went to leave. "Merls." stopped him and he turned to look at the now awake prince. "Yes?"

Arthur smiled at him. "I love you." 

Merlin blushed. "Clotpole!!" he yelled and left the room. Leaving a laughing prince behind.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\