Chapter 18: Day 5: Lost Souls

I was going to make and A/N chapter for this but decided to just put it at the top of this chapter. I have gotten a new laptop! Finally! Thanks to my wonderful Husband. Thank you hubby for the Christmas gift!
Anyways I'm writing this to say that I have gone through and made some edits. Nothing major but still some changes to the story. 

chapter 1 has an added 100 words, 

chapter 2 94 added words, 

chapter 3 259 added words

chapter 4 98 added words

chapter5 56 added words

chapter 6 63 added words

chapter 8 54 added words

and from there I didn't added anymore but I did go through and try and fix some spelling mistakes. Some will still probably be there. I apologize. 

I also wrote an alternate scene to one of the chapters. I will be posting that at the end of the story if anyone is interested.

WARNING: Not to much gore but still mentions of dead people. 

.........................

On the morning of the fifth day Merlin woke to drops of water hitting him in the face. He groaned and swatted at the water and reluctantly opened his eyes. He glared up at the ceiling of the cave. Where water continued to drop on his skin. 

"You look as if the cave has offended your honor." A voice spoke from the mouth of the cave. Merlin sat up and looked over at the blonde. He was still dressed in simple clothing and had packed up his bed roll and was starting a fire for breakfast. At least that's what Merlin assumed the fire was for. 

"It has, It woke me up, very rudely at that." Merlin said as he got up. He wiped his face with his hand and threw the blanket that had gotten wet through the night off him. Thankful it seemed the water wasn't dripping for long, as the clothes he wore was still dry. All except the collar of the shirt that was damp. From the water that slid down his cheek and onto the fabric. "Great, that's going to annoy me for the rest of the morning."

Arthur laughed from where he was poking at the fire with a long stick. "You know I didn't think about it till I was half asleep last night but couldn't you have simply spelled the clothes dry?"

Merlin left his bed roll where it was and walked over to sit next to Arthur. He yawned and looked at the flames. "I truly didn't think about it. I'm so use to hiding my magic that I just never think to use spells for simple things like that."

A snort was heard from beside him. "Yeah all except your chores. That I know you use magic for."

Merlin smiled and looked at the side of Arthurs face. "I have so many how else am I suppose to finish them all and go on daring quests with you?" 

Arthur turned and looked at him with a smile. "So you being an awful servant has nothing to do with it?"

Merlin smiled at him back. "No idea what your talking about. I'm the best servant you've ever had."

They both laughed and together they prepared a simple breakfast for them both to eat before heading out. Well Merlin cooked while Arthur made unhelpful comments. Then they got everything packed and loaded onto the wagon, the horses fed and watered. They left that horrid cave. It was about twenty minutes of travel before they came across the bodies. Merlin couldn't even try and feel the happiness he felt that morning. Laughing with Arthur over simple topics. A part of him couldn't believe that he was laughing that morning. A part of him hated he had been so happy before. He felt like it was wrong as he looked at the bodies scattered across the ground. Some still in their bed rolls. Looking like they hadn't even been awake. He had to turn his gaze away.

The first person off the wagon was Arthur, who immediately kneeled on the ground in front of his fallen knights and friends. Merlin stayed where he was on the wooden seat of the wagon and let the other have a moment. 

Arthur sighed and looked across the grass that had been washed clean by the rain the night before. No longer colored red with blood. Like the sky was trying to wash away the sins that happened there. Wash away the horrible deed that had attempted to stain the earth with its filth. Sadly it would never work. Like a river in which a stone is thrown. The river will calm but forever be changed. As the ground here had been washed but will always be changed as the soil now tasted blood. No amount of rain will ever be able to undo it. 

Arthur kneeled there in silence for a moment before finally speaking. "You should not have died this way." Merlin wanted to tell Arthur there was no need. They were gone and couldn't hear him but he realized this was more for the prince then the dead. So he stayed silent. 

"You should have died happily from old age. In your beds surrounded by loved ones. Or in battle protecting your kingdom. None of you should have died here. By the hands of bandits that just wanted coin or was seeking some kind or revenge on the royal family."  Arthur closed his eyes and bowed his head. "I am sorry for leading you into this. I am sorry for those you've left behind. I can never atone or make up for this. I swear that I will take the rest of my days making sure your deaths weren't in vain! I will bring you back home to be buried properly. I will make sure that the ages will remember your names." Arthur opened his eyes and stood up. "Thank you all for your sacrifices." 

Merlin stayed silent awhile longer. Just watching as the wind blew and ruffled the princes hair and clothes. Watched as he stood there staring at the corpses. Eventually he did break the silence. "Arthur...we should get started. Get this over with so we can go home." 

Arthur looked at the ground and nodded. "Your right. Come on, their families have waited long enough."

It took 2 hours, they didn't say anything in that time. There was nothing to say. It felt wrong to try and speak when they were loading bodies into a wagon. People they knew and loved. People that were their friends. People who would never speak again. They both stopped many times to just sit down for a moment. They both cried and hated every second they spent there. Finally the last one was loaded onto the wagon and they climbed onto the seat. Sitting side by side with mournful eyes. Arthur grabbed the reins and the wheeled turned. 

"Wait." Merlin said. 

Arthur pulled the reins and they came to a stop. "What is it? Did we miss someone?"

Merlin shook his head and jumped off the wagon. He kneeled down, touched his fingers to the grass and whisper a spell. All of a sudden the field was covered in flowers. Camellia Flower, Lilies, Sunflower, Tulips, Pansy, Gomphrena, Dahlia and Daffodils. The entire ground was covered in them. Not a spot was untouched by their colors and petals. Arthur looked at them all amazed. "Why did you do that?"

Merlin stood up and looked at them. "So that this place will know more then death. Hopefully any lost souls here can follow the flowers into the next life."

Arthur looked at him for a second and then felt tears fall down his cheek. "yes, that sounds good."

They were sad, they were hurting, but those flowers at least can be some hope. Hope that their friends can live again in another life. In a happier life. Merlin climbed back on to the wagon and they continued their journey home.

*****************