Chapter 10

Running...Alphas don't run. They charge and take. They never flee. It's never in their nature to do so. Yet, as branches whip and scratch at Odin's skin and leaves and twigs scrunch beneath his feet, it seems like he is just like any other wolf – a predator that still has submissive qualities.

    It's the first time Odin's heart pounded so hard in the last 7 decades. Goosebumps are prominent on his arms and sweat stream steadily down his skin. Drops of blood from nature's scratches leave a trail to the forest floor; making it too easy for his pursuant to follow him.

    "Fuck!" Odin cursed as his pajamas slipped down his waist. Whoever tailored such low quality cloth needs a damn smack in the face. Odin couldn't afford to pause to pull it up for he sense the hellhound just a few feet behind. No matter how fast he runs, he couldn't seem to outrun him. So, as he runs, he keeps shifting his pajamas up with his legs until it got high enough for him to grab and tie a knot to it to keep it from slipping down once again. He could've had a better chance in wolf form but he currently can't trust his wolf. He knows that if he shifts, the dominant control to their body would transfer to his wolf and Odin knows that he'll be running towards the hellhound and not away from him.

    Damn it! He needs to get away fast!

    Running faster, he uses the adrenaline, fear, and excitement as his fuel to push himself to the fullest speed. He managed to gain a wider distance between him and the hellhound but it cost him by reopening his wounds. He felt the familiar burn of the same wolfsbane he was attacked with by the enforcers and he cursed those fucking bastards to be subjected to eternal torture.

    As much as it annoys him, at least he found out something.

    Sensing the hellhound beside him, he panicked. How the hell did he caught up to him so fast?! Odin took a sudden halt before running back towards where they came from. If there's anything he knows about chase is that the pursuers usually never expect their target to run back. They can predict their targets to go left, right, up and down but never back.

    He sensed the hellhound flash past him so Odin took it as his chance to gain a wider distance between them. A few heartbeats later, he heard a sudden halting movement. Stone crashing together filled his hearing along with the sound of feet skidding to a halt. The smell of soil became richer along with the smell of fresh and dried leaves being torn apart. The hellhound stopped faster than he anticipated but by that time, Odin is already halfway back to the old brick house he woke up in.

    A terrifying roar echoed throughout the forest, making him shiver. His wolf is whining at him to go back, to not leave their mate but Odin is adamant in getting away.

    When he saw a patch on the ground that is bedded with stone instead of soil, he took that as an opportunity to jump on it while directing his body to the right where he could sense the familiar atmosphere of human pollution. He landed a good 10 feet away from his initial direction before heading further right. In that way, the hellhound will lose any way to track him down. There's no footsteps nor scent that he could track. Even if the hellhound did manage to re-track him, Odin would be far gone for the hellhound to catch him.

    Odin huffed. He's already near the civilization. A few more seconds and he can lose the hellhound for good. The familiar human buildings started to appear. Odin smirked as he neared while also not sensing the hellhound anywhere near. He could not hear his footsteps, his heartbeat, and not even the sound of his breathing. This just proves that he finally lost him. Still, he ran faster. The more distance he could put between him and the hellhound; the better.

    The buildings got bigger the closer he got. Smoke and the smell of concrete greeted his nose that made him crinkle it in disgust. No matter how long he stays in the city, he still can't get used to the pollution. But at least the horrid smell will mask his scent. It will make things easier for him to escape the hellhound.