𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

I STARED at my phone while blushing.

I had every reason to be flattered because a girl just texted me first.

“What time can we discuss the project?”

I read the text out loud and placed my phone to my chest, trying to embrace it. I was happy because that was a big deal for me. I know she only texted me about the project, but I ignored that and considered that even if it was for that reason, she still texted me first.

“We can discuss it whenever you are free.” I texted back, grinning widely.

A second later, I received her reply. “How about after classes?”

I couldn’t meet her after classes because I needed to visit my father at the hospital.

I don’t think I can make it after classes,” I replied and sent it.

“Oh, then we can talk about it at lunchtime.”

“Okay, no problem.” I was excited about going to school for once. Something would change.

For most of the time I had been in senior secondary school, I sat in the cafeteria alone without a single friend. I never once had a friend I would sit next to or talk to, so I ate my lunch on my own and continued to go to classes that way, so it made school more boring. But now she would sit next to me for a change.

I excitedly prepared myself for school with the same routine I always have. I took a bath, then wore my ugly uniform.

For a school uniform, I think the school authorities did a terrible job. The complete uniform was green and not that good green.

I walked into my kitchen, grabbing my already cooked lunch and eating the breakfast cooked for me by one of the maids.

She did a great job because I effortlessly munched on my French toast. I didn’t want an enormous meal or I would end up pooping at school again. Which, at that point, was not something I would like to go through again.

I entered my car and drove off to school. The moment I arrived, I parked my car in the teacher’s parking lot. It’s not a shocker that the school never created a students’ parking lot. I guess very few students in Nigeria drive themselves to school.

I came out of my car, locked it, and placed the keys in my pocket.

The building was not so far, so I walked to the school. I carefully adjusted my glasses and tried my best to place my hands in the straps of my school bag as I walked.

Because the straps were so short, I found difficulties adjusting them.

As I walked, I suddenly bumped into something that sent me tumbling to the ground. I fell so hard my glasses fell too. I tilted my head to the side and noticed a leg sticking out.

Akin Musa, the most annoying being in the universe, stood laughing from behind me. That guy was just an average bully that fed on the pain of others. I deeply dreaded and hated him.

“If it ain’t Luca, the loner.” He chuckled and gave a high five to both his friends. Just like him, Kwento and Liam were some useless bullies.  It seems that they really wanted to pick on me  that they had to come to the teacher’s parking lot just to do so.