𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

I STOOD at the doorstep of Aretta's house.

We agreed I was going to pick her up for our visit to the museum and so I had to go to her house.

Her house was painted a light shade of grey. The exterior was so pretty, with flowers all around.

I stood as fear gripped me, making it hard for me to do a simple act of knocking on the door. The fear came from my thoughts about all situations.

What if her dad answered the door? How would I explain myself?

I am at your house. I texted her.

After 5 minutes, I received no reply. So I knocked.

Anxiety piled up slowly, filling my belly with the most unpleasant feeling. I was hoping her father would not answer.

"Hey, what do you want?" An older woman who resembled Aretta asked.

A wave of relief hit me and I smiled at her."I am here to pick Aretta up. We are going to the Museum together."

A smile formed on her face."I didn't know Aretta has a boyfriend."

"I am--- "

"You're very handsome. No wonder Aretta chose you. It's nice to meet you. I am her mom. You can call me Mrs. Okorie or Priscilla if you want to be specific." She said, interrupting me.

"I am honored to meet you, Mrs. Okorie. My name is Luca." I would explain to her I am not her boyfriend, but I was loving the compliments. So I decided not to.

"Aww, your name is so pretty. Lemme call her. You know how long girls can take to prepare for their dates."

My smile increased in wideness. "I understand. She can take her time."

"Aretta, your boyfriend is here!" She screamed, and I could hear Aretta ramble something from her room.

She quickly came to the door all dressed up and I must admit she looked very good with a simple purple dress and some purple converse. Her boobs were lightly exposed, and I was disappointed in myself for glancing in that direction, so I shifted my gaze immediately.

"I thought this is the part where the boyfriend stares at the girl and says 'wow you look amazing'. " Her mom said causing both of us to laugh.

I gaped at Aretta and she winked at me, which I took to be a signal that I should play along.

"You look amazing," I said actually meaning it.

"T... thank you," Aretta responded, smiling slightly.

"Wow, you guys are so cute. I am done with being in between all this. Have a great time on your date. Luca, bring her home safely." Mrs. Okorie beamed.

"Yes, I will. See you later ma'am, it was nice meeting you."

"Aren't you guys gonna hold hands? There is no need to be shy around me, you know. I won't scold you."

My eyes widened. She was not a typical Nigerian mom. I then understood why Aretta would allow me to come to her house. Other girls would get scolded by their parents if a boy came to their house.

Aretta immediately grabbed my hand. That caught me off guard. Why didn't she just tell her mom we weren't really dating?

I walked with her to my car while she held my hand. It was so weird; I didn't understand what exactly was happening, but I played along.

"What exactly just happened?" I asked Aretta when we were seated in my car.

She giggled. "My mom has always wanted me to have a boyfriend and I guess I am sorry for making you play along."