Episode 6

Colonel Stark stood in front of the sheriff's desk and counted out an amount from a handful of bills.

"None of my business what he did, Sheriff. I hired him to help bring my herd to auction and I honour my contracts. This is what he's owed. Other than that, our business is done."

"That's fine, Mr. Stark, I'm sure he'll be happy to be able to pay his fine and get out of my jail . . . and my town."

"Like I said, my business with him is done, and now that they are all paid off, I have no more business with any of them." The Colonel touched his brim and left the office.

Becker walked back to the cells and stood looking in at Larkin.

"Colonel Stark brung your share from the drive," He waved the bills like a fan.

Larkin dragged himself up from the cot and stumbled toward the bars.

"'Bout time. How much?"

"Lotta dinero for a polecat like you."

"How much?"

"I counts out to fifty dollars." Becker said. "'Course, less the fine for your attack on the school marm, you get thirty." He held out the bills.

"You old bugger!" Larkin's hand shot through the bars, reaching for the sheriff's neck.

Becker stepped easily out of reach, grinning evilly. "That little display just cost you another five." He threw the bills into the cell and left the room.

"Havin' trouble with your prisoner, Dan?"

Becker grunted. "Nothin' I can't handle, Doc. What can I do for you?"

"Couple of my patients, friends of his, want to know if you'll let him out. The new buyers are driving to the rail head and they're lookin' for hires. These boys are going along."

"Suits me. I'll fetch him now. Tell his friends, first move to make trouble and I'll lock the lot of them up."

Becker and the doc stood in front of the jail and watched the cowboys ride off toward the pens and out of town.

"Good riddance," Becker said.

"He had some fiery words for you, Dan."

"Yeah, well I took half his pay in fines, figure on givin' half that to Miss Holden."

"Not quite the old mule you like to let on are you?"

"You let on and you'll soon find out." Becker said goodbye, wearing a wry smile.

****

"You didn't join the new drive?"

"Had enough of that for a while." Cass said, looking up from his meal. "How come you didn't?"

"Aah, some of the boys got Larkin outta the hoosegow and took him with 'em. I had enough of him on one drive." Higby pulled out a chair and sat down. "So whatta you gonna do? I heard they was looking for wranglers back down near the Peyote."

"I got some business to take care of." Cass chewed his last bite and shoved the plate away.

"Up at Dolly's?" Higby leered and tilted back on his chair.

"Not after all the spokes you soaks put in that wheel."

"Ho, ho! You find sumpthin' better?"

"I aim to." Cass left some money on the table and looked at his trail companion. "You really going to take the wranglin' job?"

"You got sumpthin' better?"

"Maybe. I could use some help with what I wanna do."

The chair banged back down and Higby rested his forearms on the table. "Is there money in it?"