Episode 23

Harv had retreated to the door to Amanda's room, pointing at the lock.

"I unlocked it, but it won't open. She's jammed somethin' against it."

Becker banged on the door, calling her name and telling her to open the door. When nothing happened, he stood back and said, "I'm comin' in, Miss Holden."

Colleen, who had followed the group upstairs, groaned aloud, "Not another door!"

The boot against the lock yielded nothing and Becker waved Harv forward. "Together with shoulders." The two men slammed against the door a couple of times, falling forward as the frame splintered apart and the upper hinge tore loose. Both men blundered to the floor on top of the wreckage, and there was a scramble to get back up, only to stand and stare.

The scene froze them all where they were. Amanda dangled over the edge of the bed, her toes barely touching the floor. Around her neck was Harriet's shawl, tied tightly through the filigree of the iron headboard. Doc stepped over the door wreckage and lifted her body onto the bed, feeling for a pulse or a heartbeat.

"She's gone," he declared, stepping back and wiping his face with shaking fingers.

Aaron caught Harriet by the arms as she stumbled away from the door, and led her down the hallway away from the gruesome scene.

"Take a deep breath and try to relax." He said.

Colleen came down the hall looking pale but determined, and she stopped beside them.

"Could you help Harriet, Colleen, they may need assistance in there."

"Certainly. I'll take her to my room."

Harv stood rubbing a bruised elbow and knee, having unfortunately fallen under the sheriff when the door broke free.

"Give us a hand, Aaron. Hold her head while I cut this noose. Darn knot's tighter than a—"

"Yes, tight. We get it, Dan." Aaron shuddered as he held Amanda's head, her tongue protruding from her lips and her eyes staring accusingly at him. The tension disappeared, and he laid her head on the pillow, quickly stepping back.

"She wedged the chair under the door." Doc said absently, stepping around the debris. "Don't think it took too long either. I think she mighta flung herself off the bed and that's what tightened that knot so much."

"Now what?" Aaron asked.

"Nothin' I can do for her. Get Harmon Thatch to pick her up. He can measure her up for a coffin and get that started."

"Sure hope it's Chrighton doin' the circuit," Sheriff Becker said. "Stack'll rain lightnin' on us for wastin' his time."

****

The entourage moved slowly down the hill from the town cemetery, the small group all crowded in one wagon, with Harmon Thatch alone in his funeral carriage.

"It was a nice eulogy, Harriet, I think Amanda would have really been pleased."

"I'm grateful your newspaper didn't sensationalize the story. It was written with taste and consideration."

"Thank you. I had time to cover the facts with as much understanding as I could manage. I uh, I also wrote an opinion piece that is a little more blunt."

"We all have opinions, Aaron."

The wagon rolled to a stop by the livery and the funeral party dismounted and said their parting goodbyes. Aaron walked with Harriet to the library and accompanied her inside, surprised to see a young woman working at the desk.