Episode 14

Abuse was a large part of Amanda Holden's youth. The youngest child with two other siblings, both boys, who, following their father's lead, constantly bullied and tormented their sister. Caring for her sickly, indifferent mother, hoping to find some support, some island of safety from the daily anguish, Amanda found no such solace.

When her mother suddenly died, her father directed his supposed grief toward his daughter, making unwelcome intimacies as an excuse. Even her brothers felt this was beyond defence, and instead of defending her, both left home without looking back.

There was a limit to everything and Amanda recognized hers. It was then she began to plan her own departure.

Three years later she found herself employed as an assistant, in a school servicing a fairly large community, receiving praise for her acumen. After a period of dutiful service, and a yearning to move on, she was given letters of reference, which gained her the position of Tuckerville's school teacher.

Tuckerville was the perfect choice. Big enough to warrant a schoolhouse and a full time teacher, and to hide from her past.

****

Mayor Devlin called in his secretary, who was also his aide, and the sheriff for a strategy meeting regarding the arrival of the Governor. He fussed and huffed over every little item and finally demanded that the sheriff meet with the librarian and tell her exactly how she should behave when the Governor meets with her.

"Avery, there ain't no doggone way I'm tellin' Miss Folio how to behave. In case you forgot, she's the one the Governor is coming to see. Might behoove you to consider yer own behaviour."

"Now listen here, Becker, I'm the Mayor of Tuckerville. I'm the one officially greeting the Governor when he gets here. I'm the first impression he's going to get about our town."

"I rest my case, Avery."

"I'll rest your case, you don't start addressing me by my title!"

"Ah, Avery- Mr. Mayor, just calm yer herd and let us get back to our real business. He prob'ly will want a good meal, a drink, and a rest after that stage ride anyway, so a big fanfare greetin' might be the wrong approach."

Avery settled behind his desk as the others left, his face creased with lines of worry. Election time wasn't far off and a word from the Governor would go a long way in helping his re-election hopes.

****

Edina Walsh put on her bonnet and locked the door to the Mayor's office then hurried up the street to the library. She stepped inside, pleased to see there were only two other people browsing books, and went straight to Harriet's desk.

"Miss Walsh, hello. What can I do for you?"

Edina bent down to whisper about the mayor wanting to use the Governor's visit to his own advantage, and that he was worried about what Harriet might say when she met him.

"I hope I don't have to say anything beyond thank you and nice to meet you." Harriet smiled.

"Avery's a good man - he's just very political . . ."

"Aah, the election." Harriet patted the older woman's hand and assured her she would try to be as correct as possible.

As she watched the woman leave, Harriet wondered if she could be correct when the Governor arrived. After all, he was going to dredge up all the bad memories of the attacks. The door opened again and this time it was Amanda.

"Is everything alright?" Harriet stood and came around her desk.

"Oh yes, everything's fine. I just wanted to return these books."