Episode 24

To Becker's dismay, the circuit judge was Judge Stack, and he sat in Becker's chair glowering as the sheriff told him everything that happened. With a surprising show of support, Avery confirmed every word and added, that the circuit judge was duty bound to make his visits whether he liked the outcomes or not.

Slightly cowed, Stack filled out some papers, signed them and left copies for the sheriff before leaving town without even pausing for a drink.

"Avery- Mr. Mayor, I'm doggone flabbergasted!"

"Better get used to it, Sheriff. Now, let's discuss the bills I've been receiving from Miss DuPrave."

John burst into the sheriff's office and handed him his copy of the paper, eagerly announcing that he wrote the article about the shooting of Mr. Wilkes.

"Runnin' a tad behind with the news ain't we? He's already back on his feet." Becker teased.

"So much was happening, Aaron didn't know what to cover first. We decided for countynewity, that was Aaron's word, to print the stories in order. He did the story on Miss Holden and it went to press first."

"So much for continuity." The Mayor said, chuckling. "Hope Aaron proofread the article," he winked at the Sheriff.

"I'll be sure to read it real careful, John, and congratulations on your first story." Becker grinned at the boy.

John beamed and hurried out, racing to tell the next customer.

"Speaking of that story, have you seen Wilkes lately? Enid tells me he's just wandering around town like he's lost."

"I think he's gettin' his legs back and comin' to grips in his head. Don't imagine he could rush right back and work for Mayhew so soon." Becker, slapped his leg with the newspaper.

"It's been a while now, Dan. Maybe we should get Doc to have a talk with him."

"You mean me, don't you, Avery."

"Mr. Mayor, Sheriff."

"When it's stable cleanin' jobs you want done, it's Avery." With a bold stare, Becker dared him to argue.

****

Aaron stood in front of Harriet's desk studying Cassie Nolan as she read the article she had asked him to write. On the floor by the shelves sat a large carton of books, newly arrived on the stage, and as yet, unpacked.

"You may need more space soon," he teased, as she handed the paper to him.

"That's perfect, Mr. Trenholme, thank you. Yes, I might. Harriet told me to order what I thought would be best for the school, and some more new novels for here."

"First off, it's Aaron. Mr. Trenholme makes me sound like some stuffy character out of Dickens."

"You've read Charles Dickens!"

"Harriet dared me to read Great Expectations . . . I actually enjoyed it."

Cassie laughed and stood up, holding out her hand. "Very well, Aaron, and it's Cassie to you." Her hand felt strong and warm in his and there was a second of disconcerting eye contact.

"Okay, so uh, it's alright to print this as it is?"

"Absolutely, and please submit the bill—"

Now Aaron laughed. "Is that the school teacher coming out in you? Submit?"

She blushed. "I guess it was."

They stood in awkward silence a moment then he asked after Harriet.

"I haven't seen her for a while and I didn't want to bother her at the cabin."