Episode 18

Colleen fussed furiously about the kitchen and in the large private dining booth, getting everything just perfect. She had Wilkes dictate the menu according to the Governor's wishes and told him about the oysters and wine she had ordered for his visit. Wilkes allowed as how Mayhew hardly needed oysters, but he still smiled and thanked her.

The time was arranged for six o-clock, and attending would be, the Governor and Wilkes. Harriet Folio. Mayor Avery Proctor and Enid, his secretary. Sheriff Becker, Aaron Trenholme and Amanda Holden, as a courtesy to keeping a fairer balance of gender at the table. Colleen set place cards at each setting, moving them around then moving them back.

She didn't want a woman next to the Governor but couldn't seat them all together either. Finally, she sacrificed Enid, placing her next to Mayhew.

Aaron met Amanda in the hallway by Harriet's room and there was a moment of awkwardness.

"I came to tell Miss Folio that the dinner is set for six o-clock . . . she asked me to let her know. Oh, and of course you as well."

"I'll tell her." She stood in front of the door and stared at Aaron.

"As you wish, Miss Holden." He touched his hat brim and left.

Amanda gathered herself and rapped on the door. "Harriet, it's me, Amanda." The door opened and she quickly moved inside. "I wondered if you needed any assistance getting ready - oh and Mr. Trenholme said to tell you dinner is at six."

Harriet closed the door and leaned against it. He told Amanda to tell me? She felt an uncertain disappointment at the news. Amanda was fussing with the dress on the bed, cooing over how lovely it was and wouldn't Harriet look wonderful for the Governor.

"Thank you for letting me know, but I don't need any help getting dressed, Amanda."

"It's no bother really."

"Actually yes, it is. I can dress myself quite ably alone." The tone brought a shadow over Amanda's face and the two women stared at one another for a moment.

"Very well. I shall see you downstairs at six."

"Thank you." Harriet tried to be cordial, but Amanda left once again, slamming the door.

She began changing into her dinner dress, her thoughts ranging over the increasingly disturbing behaviour of her friend. The talk they had over this very topic seems to have had no effect. If anything, Amanda's behaviour had exacerbated. Harriet did up her dress, added the simple necklace and then brushed out her hair and rolled it up into a roll at the back, a style that had begun catching favour back east.

She considered her image in the mirror and decided that plain would be appropriate for dinner with the Governor, so she didn't do any pinching of cheeks or tinting of lips. With her purse in hand she did a couple of twists in the mirror then left the room, steeling herself for what she already knew, would be an unpleasant meeting.

****

Enid straightened the Mayor's tie and handed him the certificate the town had prepared for the visit, along with a note of reminders.

"I don't like this meeting secretly business. Who's going to hear anything the Governor might say on my behalf?"

"Aaron will be there recording everything for his paper. Just stop worrying. A more intimate meeting might give you a better opportunity to converse. Just don't ask for too much, Avery. Remember, he's was injured by the very thing you were hoping to boast about, so be careful."

"It's just that election time is so close . . ."

"This is, after all, a visit to commend Miss Folio for her bravery and to make a presentation." She patted his arm, handed him his hat and steered him out the door.

Sheriff Becker adjusted his sling, wet his moustache with his fingers, took a deep breath and left his office for the hotel. He caught up with the Mayor and Enid, and they made small talk the rest of the way.

Harriet, Amanda and Aaron waited in the lobby of the hotel while Wilkes and a couple of the hotel employees helped get Mayhew down the stairs and into the booth. Amanda stood near Harriet but didn't speak to her or Aaron, and when the Mayor arrived, they all crossed the dining room and stood around the table, at their places for introductions, before sitting.

"Well," Mayhew began. "Not quite the reception we hoped for, eh?"

"I can only apologize, Governor. It was—" Avery twitched as he felt Enid's shoe against his shin from where she sat across the table.

"It was bloody awful! Pardon my language ladies." Mayhew picked up his glass and realizing it was empty waved it toward Colleen who hovered by the drapes.

"But then you wouldn't have enjoyed the hospitality of the hotel or the pleasure of seeing how some of our town's business and commerce performed. "Aaron smiled, as Mayhew's ears pinked.

"Your town seems to be running on a well balanced system, Mr. Mayor." Wilkes offered half-heartedly.

Avery gawked, unable to respond.

"All a product of co-operation and good management, Mr. Wilkes." Enid said.

"Alright, enough butter. Let's get to the real reason for this trip here. Miss Folio, I have come to Tuckerville as representative of the territory to commend you for your astonishing act of bravery. That, and to present you with the generous reward that had been posted for those outlaws."

Colleen swished through the drapes and began filling wine glasses around the table.

"'Bout time." Mayhew lifted his glass."To Miss Folio, and leave those darn drapes open. Nobody's in the dining room anyway."

They all repeated the toast and drank then sat uncomfortably waiting for what they knew was coming.

"So, Miss Folio, I would be mighty obliged to hear your account of the Black Creek station event."

Harriet folded her hands in her lap and looked at the Governor. Avery's groan was barely heard.

"Sir, that account has been repeated, recorded and I'm quite sure, reported to you prior to coming here. It is not a subject I wish to entertain, rather one I wish I could forget."

Avery's groan increased. "She doesn't mean—" He tried, but was cut off.

"Is that a fact now." Mayhew sat forward. "Well, I didn't come all this way to deliver a reward and a certificate from the county seat, not to mention get my leg broken, and then be told you don't want to talk about it."

Colleen was fanning herself with her hand as she arrived with the ladies bearing the dinners. She didn't know if she should serve, wait or shoot herself.

"I think you could bring those in, Colleen," Sheriff Becker said, hoping to break the tension that had seized the group.

The ladies served everyone quickly and hurried away. Wilkes, seated next to Harriet, gave a small cough into his hand, and in a whisper, suggested she share just a few facts so as to appease and save them all from trouble. His head began to hurt again.

"I regret sir, you feel that way, and of course your unfortunate accident, but if you had been the recipient of what transpired that day, you may feel differently about reliving it."

Wilkes dropped his head, eyes closed.

Aaron raised his hand and asked for permission to intercede, and without objection, he continued. "I think it would be fair to say Governor Mayhew, that the incident, resulting in the violent deaths of eight men, the wounding of another and the horrendous emotional experience of Miss Folio, we might find our meals and company more enjoyable being thankful that what did happen can now not happen again."

"Sounds like a good compromise to me," Becker said, digging into the giant steak on his plate.

Avery remained numb, staring at his food. Harriet and the Governor held their eyes locked until he blinked and nodded, waving a dismissing hand.

"Guess you're right, son. No gain in spoiling a good meal. Eat up folks, and Avery, you can tell me how you came up with the idea for that ditch."