Chapter 2

Hermione was having a hard time trying to let go of her mother's arm as she saw her father run after Harry's uncle. The pair of women, stood there waiting for Dan to come back. As he came into view, Emma was the first one to notice his tense body. Hermione pried herself free from her mother's grip and began asking rapid questions to her father.

Dan held up his hand to stop the stream of questions being thrown his way. Looking over at his wife, he said in a sombre tone, "I lost him in the rush."

Hermione took a few deep calming breaths, analysing their situation. Sighing after some time, she looked at her parents who were looking at her worriedly.

"I have Harry's telephone number. We should get home and try contacting him; I can't believe I don't know where he lives. Anyway, he probably won't be home for at least a few hours. The best we can do is get home and pray that what we saw was the worst to see." Hermione said, tears in her eyes.

"I'm sure that Harry will be alright honey." Emma said wrapping the weeping girl in her arms.

They made their way to the car, and Dan drove them home. Emma sat in the back seat with her daughter, comforting her throughout her journey. As they arrived home, Emma fixed up her daughter's face as they had relatives over and it would embarrass Hermione to be seen with tear tracks running down her cheeks.

Hermione entered her house and was immediately amidst a cacophony of greetings and well wishes. Hermione had nothing against her relatives, but she couldn't bring herself to care one bit about them right now, her thought occupied only by Harry. As soon as she was able to, she excused herself and practically ran to the telephone, picked it up and dashed to her room. She dialled the number that she had committed to memory as soon as Harry had given it to her last summer.

Hearing the dial tone ringing, her frustration grew with every ring that went unanswered. Just as she thought that there was no one home, someone answered the phone.

"Hello?" a gruff male voice was heard.

"Hello, this is Hermione Granger. Could I talk to Harry please?" She asked politely.

"Hermione! Harry's not home yet, is something the matter?" asked the still unidentified voice.

"I'm sorry, but who is this?" Hermione asked, totally confused.

"Come on! You just saw my handsome face barely a week ago, and you have forgotten me already!" the voice chuckled.

Connecting dots in her mind rapidly, she came to an impossible conclusion.

"Sirius! Is that you?" Hermione asked.

"Hahaha. So is there any reason for your call? It sounded urgent." Sirius said.

So Hermione told him of the happenings of this afternoon at King's Cross.

"I had a feeling that Harry was not exactly living in an ideal living environment. It's lucky that I decided that I needed to talk to them this summer huh? Don't worry Hermione; I'll handle things with the Dursleys. Why don't you call back in a couple of hours? I'm sure Harry will be home by then." Sirius said gently.

"Sure, I'll do that. Thanks Sirius, this takes a huge amount of worry off my mind." Hermione said releasing a breath of air. Relief flooding through her body.