Chapter 7

Harry grumbled under his breath as he picked himself up from the floor of the Headmaster's office. Hermione had not fallen down this time, and Harry's frustration increased. Still shaking his head, he ignored the chuckling Headmaster and taking Hedwig in his arms, walked off, out of the Headmaster's office making his way towards the kitchens.

Hermione smiled at Harry's antics, before she turned towards the Headmaster and asked a question that she had forgotten to ask earlier.

"Professor how do you protect yourself from Legilimency?"

Dumbledore raised an eyebrow at her question, but answered pleasantly nevertheless.

"Legilimency, the art of invading another's mind, can be countered by the art of Occlumency. Together they are known as the Mind Arts. I presume that Perenelle was the one that informed you of it?"

Hermione nodded. She had spent a considerable amount of time in the Hogwarts library, but had never read about this.

Dumbledore, who seemed to have picked up on her thoughts, said, " It is an obscure branch of magic that is only taught to selected people. One can either learn it from their mentor or from their family. Law enforcement candidates, Aurors, are also required to learn to defend their minds. It is not a subject that is taught at Hogwarts and thus, there are no books in the Hogwarts library on this subject."

"But that seems a bit unfair to those who don't have Wizarding backgrounds." Hermione protested.

"You are right about that, but you have to realize that you are still a student and have not begun your life as a Witch, you tend to pick up things such as this either from experience or from friends. Muggleborns such as yourself, have a disadvantage early on but eventually it all evens out." Dumbledore said gently. While that wasn't exactly true, Dumbledore knew that telling her about the true face of the Wizarding society would be discouraging, and she didn't need to know it now.

"I think I understand." Hermione said with a frown on her face.

"Professor?" Hermione asked hesitantly.

"Yes Miss. Granger?"

"Can anyone learn Ligilimency? Even a student?" Hermione asked. She had always prided herself for her mind, and the thought that someone could read it on a whim was unsettling to her.

"No Miss. Granger, it requires a certain amount of talent, and ability to learn it. Only a select few people are capable of it and those with the ability have to register themselves at the Ministry to get a license, similar to being an Animagus, for continuing its practice. I doubt that there is any student at the school that has been trained in the art." Dumbledore said, trying to abate her fear.

Hermione was silent for a long time, contemplating this new information. She was not sure if she should ask her next question, but did anyway.

"Can you do it Professor?"

If Dumbledore was surprised by her question, he didn't let it show on his face. After all, he had been expecting it from the inquisitive young woman.

"I am indeed capable of it, but I have never used it against students without their permission first."

Hermione nodded, and getting up said, "Thank you for your time Headmaster."