Chapter 4: An Average Day

Mira winced at the fresh sunlight sneaking into her eyes to shine her awake. She stretched her hands above her head and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes, which she then covered with her golden circular glasses. Mira got ready for the day, resisting the urge to reminisce over her old life, trying to keep it hidden in the back of her mind. There was no need to think about the past, but sometimes she couldn't help it. It always felt odd, getting dressed by herself, slipping on her sandals on her own, the floorboards not moving to push her things to the side. It all felt so bizarre. One thing she would never miss was her daily affirmation. Everyday, before leaving the nursery, she distinctly remembered the words she would say to herself: "Make your family proud!" It was pathetic. Mirabel dedicated her life to try to-

No, no, no. She wasn't going to think of those times. She wasn't going to waste her mind on all of that. She had more important things to attend to. For example, breakfast. Ever since that fateful day 10 years ago, the Salazar family claimed that they could never repay Mira enough for rebuilding their home, no matter what she told them. So they came up with a compromise: she could come over for a meal whenever she wanted as a "repayment." Mira, who as any sane person would never object to free food, went to the family's house 3 times a day every day ever since.

Mira walked across the road to the Salazar home. The house thankfully stood strong after all these years. It looked just as beautiful as when they first finished building it. Mira walked to the side of the house and made her way to the window, knocking on the shutters. A pair of hazel brown eyes peeked through.

"Come in," Mercedes' voice said. "Help me set the table, breakfast is finished." Mira went to the front door and into the house. She stepped into the kitchen and grabbed some plates from the cupboard to place them on the table.

"How'd you sleep?" Mira asked her friend. The girls had become such close friends over the years, almost like sisters.

"Alright I guess," she answered, pouring coffee into her mug. Mercedes yawned and took a sip of her heated drink. "I was so tired this morning, I didn't even want to get out of bed!"

"What time did you go to sleep last night?"

"Same time as alway. I'm not sure why I'm suddenly so sleepy."

"Maybe try taking a nap during the day?" The girls turned to Alejandro, who was standing in the doorway of the kitchen.

"Good morning, Andro" Mirabel smiled at the boy, her face warming up at his sight.

" 'Morning, Mira," Alejandro replied with a smile, pouring himself a cup of coffee. "Seriously, you should take more naps, you get cranky when you're tired." Mercedes lightly smacked her little brother on the shoulder. He turned to Mirabel. "You see this? She's only proving my point!" They all sat down at the table and talked, filling their stomachs with the delicious food the eldest sister had prepared. As they spoke, each member of the Salazar family joined and sat at the table, one by one until the entire house was woken up.

"Mira," Abuela began. "Be a dear and open the shutters?"

"Of course, abuela Maria." Mira did as she was asked, only to be met with a little boy running up the street to the front of the house, running towards them.

"Mira!" he yelled, stopping at the door to knock. Mira ran to the door and let the boy in. It was Pablo, he was about 8 years old. Mira remembered him from all the times he interrupted the sewing lessons she tried to teach his mother. "Senorita Mira, it's my brother!"

"Hey buddy," She knelt down to his level and placed her hands on his shoulders. "I need you to take a deep breath and calm down." Pablo did as he was asked. "Now, tell me what's wrong."