Chapter 17: The Familia Salazar

The shrill of the wooden chair scratching the floor almost made Mercedes jump out of her skin.

"Let me tell you," Abuela Maria began to shout as she settled into the seat. "I don't care for those Madrigals. Not one bit!" Ramos resisted the urge to roll his eyes at his madre, instead closing them as he set a mug in front of her.

"Then why did you agree to let her go?" Ramos calmly asked.

"Si, mi vida," Abuelo Emilio commented. "If anyone could have convinced her to stay, it would be you."

"I couldn't stop her." She said, crossing her arms as her face softened. "I could see she wanted to go..." Josephina poured some chocolate caliente into her mug. "Her poor heart... it's been so hurt by those people, and yet she still cares so much for them. She loves them, but I'm not so sure they feel the same... at least not in the right way..." Mercedes slumped down in her own chair.

"Well, I agree." Josephina said, noting her daughter's demeanor. "With the stories she told us, I'm not sure why she'd even want to go back."

"Well there must be a good reason-" Mercedes tried to chime in, only to be interrupted by her abuela.

"At least Alejandro went with her," the elderly woman said with a smirk. "One wrong word to her and- HA!" Maria punched the air, knowing well of her grandson.

"Now, now mami," Ramos began. "We all know Alejandro hasn't gone that far in years."

"Aye, it's true," Josephina said, settling in her own chair, all mugs being filled. "When he was young, I taught him to isolate himself when he got angry. It was best for him to be alone for a while than to hurt someone."

"But his temper has never changed." Abuelo Emilio replied. "Especially when it comes to Mira."

"I think he gets it from you." Maria said warmly to her husband, who reciprocated her smile.

"I think that that's not something to be proud of." Ramos said sternly.

"I think..!" Mercedes finally broke her silence. "That you're all being way too hard on them all!" She said, moving her mug from one hand to the other. "They're just a family who wants to get one of their kids back. What's so wrong with that!?" Josephina breathed in slowly, preparing an explanation to her daughter.

"Mija," she said, putting a hand on her shoulder. "I love how you always see the best in people, it's admirable. But you have to be cautious."

"...cautious..?" she said, confused.

"Imagine... Do you remember that story, El Patito Feo?"

"...Yeah." she answered. "The little duckling who lost his way, but found a family in the end..."

"Yes, but ah..." Josephina paused. "Imagine, after the duckling had found out that he was truly a beautiful swan, after finally finding his family and becoming happy, the family of ducks return, wanting to apologize only after they realize how much they hurt the little swan."

"They..." Mercedes scoffed with a smile. "They just felt bad..."

"Sí corazón," Abuela Maria said. Mercedes rubbed her hands up her face, lightly laughing as she leaned back into her seat.

"I'm 27 years old, and yet you have to explain things with fairytales..."

"Corazon, it's a wonderful thing," Abuelo Emilio comforted her. "You have heartful eyes, they only see things with love and compassion." he reached for his nieta. "You're the heart of this family Mercedes, loving and forgiving. Don't let anything change that."

"Of course, abuelo." she said as she took his hand.