11. New priorities

A P A R N A

A P A R N A

My finger practically fused itself to the screen as I swiped for the gazillionth time today. Back to the book. 'The Year I Met You' - not your typical love story, FYI.

Jasmine Butler, the main character, was basically my spirit animal. Lost her job, stuck with a ton of free time she never asked for. Okay, maybe she liked her job a smidge more than I did mine, but hey, solidarity, right?

My parents disowned me when I was only 19. Thankfully, mami and mamu swooped in, even though they weren't exactly rolling in dough. Mamu was a bank clerk and Mami, the neighborhood's queen of tiffin magic. They made it work, you know? Until me. Extra mouth to feed obviously tightens the budget faster than you can say "instant noodles."

Scholarship exams became my new best friends. Half my education fees? Poof, gone, thanks to those babies. Mamu worked overtime like a superhero for the other half. But hey, a teenager needs more than textbooks, right?

Mami, bless her heart, started hiding away a bit of her earnings. Sneaking them into my bag like some kind of secret agent granny. When I busted her, of course I told her to stop. But mami? She's a rock. Unmovable. So, we compromised.

Tiffin delivery became my first official job. I delivered mami's deliciousness, and she slipped me a little something from her earnings each week. Not a fortune, but enough for that extra something I needed (and maybe a lipstick, don't judge).

That's how it all started.

I aced those exams, graduated with top honors! No more student loans, I thought, finally giving poor Mamu a break. But life, that sly trickster, had other plans. Just a few months later, he retired. Now, the weight of the household fell on Mami's capable shoulders. The tiffin business just couldn't stretch to support three. That's when the orphanage came to my rescue. They offered me art classes, and to my surprise, paid just enough to keep us afloat.

Then came Antara, my sunshine, offering me a place at her swanky apartment in the posh part of Mumbai. Leaving Mamu and Mami was unthinkable, but they, bless their hearts, convinced me.

Aditya Automobiles came knocking soon after, internship first, then a permanent position. The pay was fantastic, more than enough for one. So, every month, a healthy chunk of my salary found its way back to Mamu and Mami. My first and only corporate job, the golden goose that laid those perfect eggs. Until yesterday, that is.

Lost in the world of my book, I barely noticed my phone erupt again. Groaning, I checked the screen. Varad. The fifth call today. Steam practically billowed from my ears. His "hilarious" marriage ultimatum that landed me in this fix could wait.

But I decided to pick up the call anyway.

"Aparna, this is my last and only time telling you, don't give me that fucking attitude. I can understand if you decline one call but five? I have a company to run if you haven't noticed, so I won't call you five times just because I was bored." He gritted out venomously.

I rolled my eyes, still pretty much pissed, "You could've went straight to the point if you are so busy running a company." I said, mimicking him

A beat of silence, then a sigh. "Don't play that game with me, jaan." That husky voice, ugh! It did things to my stomach, even when I was mad. I winced at the pet name, but held his gaze.

"I'm not your jaan," I countered, voice firm. Then, before I could lose my nerve, I ended the call.

What was his problem? Acting like I was his secretary or something!

Ugh, it was like 8 PM already and Antara was still MIA. That meant dinner was a no-go, and my wallet, thanks to my unemployment status, was drier than a papad in the Sahara. So there I was, glued to my phone like a social media zombie, waiting for my BFF to grace me with her presence and, more importantly, her cooking skills.

Seriously, what kind of ungrateful bitch did I sound like? Just as I was busy searching for companies that wouldn't scoff at my qualifications, the doorbell decided to rudely interrupt my pity party. Antara, duh, right? I practically flung the door open, only to be met with a face that wasn't exactly sunshine and rainbows.

Varad. The usual scowl was plastered across his face like a permanent resident, his gaze scanning me down before locking with mine. Ugh, why did he have to look so judgmental?

"What the fuck were you thinking, huh?" he growled, shoving his foot in the doorway before I could even think about slamming it shut. "Cutting off my calls, hanging up on me like that?"

"What are you doing here? Don't you have a company to run?" I asked, squinting my eyes at him and completely ignoring his previous question. He probably noticed that I was mocking him and that added the fuel to his already burning mind.

"I also have a son back home who's been throwing a tantrum since last night because a certain someone decided to play phone tag with him too." The second those words left his mouth, my eyes widened like a deer in headlights. Guilt slapped me in the face harder than reality ever could.

Shit! I totally forgot about my baby. I was so into mourning the loss of my job that I didn't remember to call him last night.

"Guess whose fucking fault is it? Let me give you a hint, its not me." Varad growled menacingly in her ear as I continued staring at him.

Then I remembered that it was actually him that caused all this ruckus in the first place. I wouldn't have lost my job if he wasn't my fiancé. But then again, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to call Megh my son either.

"I will call him once you leave. Get out now." I decided to say.

He instead, crossed his arms and took one more step inside. "I am not going anywhere."

The anger that had been a simmering pot in me completely boiled over. Varad's accusing tone earlier, his constant presence, it was all too much. Tears welled up in my eyes, blurring my thoughts.

"Just leave, Varad!" I shouted, my voice cracking.

Oh God, not here! Not in front of him.

I swiped at my tears with the back of my hand, the frustration and the weight of everything crashing down on me. "Don't you get it? I lost my job! My whole life just turned upside down, and you barge in here acting like it's all about some stupid calls!"

Varad opened his mouth to speak, but I cut him off. "No! You don't get to talk right now. You don't get to decide what's important!" I took a shaky breath, trying to regain some semblance of control.

"Look," I said, my voice quieter now but laced with a newfound determination. "I need to call Megh. He needs to hear from me, and then I need some space. A lot of space."

Varad remained silent, but stepped aside slightly, a hint of understanding flickering in his eyes.

I wasted no time. Grabbing my phone, I dialed the familiar number, my heart pounding in my chest. Relief flooded me when I heard Megh's excited voice on the other end.