13. To be loved

A P A R N A

A P A R N A

Two weeks. Yep, that's how long it had been since the whole Aditya Automobiles fiasco and my unemployment situation became my unwelcome roommate.

Today, though? Today was for Mehndi. Well, technically, it was supposed to be a full-blown Mehndi and Sangeet extravaganza. But between me and Varad, the thought of forcing smiles and dancing the night away felt as fake as the whole "contract marriage" thing. So, we nixed the Sangeet. Ma and Vartika weren't exactly thrilled, but they eventually came around.

Just like my engagement day, my apartment had become Grand Central Station for the support squad. Antara and Nadia were their usual tornado selves, flitting around the place with enough energy to power a small city. This time, though, they had a surprise addition – Mami!

She and Ma had bonded like superglue in the past few days. Apparently, Maa wasn't your typical rich snob, according to Mami, and Maa was head-over-heels for Mami's legendary cooking skills. Mamu, bless his heart, was taking a more strategic approach – joining us directly at the venue.

"Apu! How many times do I have to call you?" Mami's voice boomed from outside my room, shattering my pre-function reverie.

"It's okay, Mami!" I called back, scrambling to my feet. I grabbed the lehenga she held out and ushered her out with a smile. "Just getting ready."

Unlike that whole engagement fiasco, this lehenga was all me. Sure, Antara, Nadia, and Vartika tagged along, but after ten minutes of their "ooh" and "ahhs" turning into a full-blown intervention, I decided I needed some retail therapy... solo. Let's just say I got "lost" in the most delightful way possible.

Don't get me wrong, the lehenga itself was stunning. Deep emerald with intricate gold embroidery that shimmered like a secret garden under the shop lights. Maybe a touch too dark for my taste, and it didn't exactly scream "Aparna" with my olive skin, but the oxidised silver jewelry the salesperson suggested? Total game-changer. Absolutely gorgeous, if I do say so myself.

By the time the girls finally wrangled themselves back from the latest saree sale, I was already decked out, feeling like a million bucks. They took one look and launched into their usual hair and makeup brigade routine. An hour later, we were all prepped and ready to go.

Speaking of "all," Mami and Ma were now practically BFFs as I mentioned earlier, rocking matching sarees in different colors. And of course, the girl squad – Antara, Vartika, and Nadia – were a vision in olive green solidarity.

The venue? Same old Oberoi mansion courtyard. The only difference this time was that my awesome parents were nixed from the guest list. Varad wasn't exactly a fan of them anymore and I was glad.

He sent us a car, though. It'd been idling downstairs for a good half hour by the time we piled in, the three of them practically vibrating with excitement. Me? Not so much.