16. The stoic savior

A P A R N A

A P A R N A

Seven lehengas deep, and I was starting to resemble a shimmering, embroidered caterpillar. Each new outfit felt more extravagant than the last, a cascade of jewel tones and swirling patterns. Not exactly what I'd envisioned for myself, but hey, who was I to argue with the Oberoi brigade?

Varad, bless his ever-patient soul, lounged outside the changing room with Maa and Vartika. The boutique, owned by Vartika's friend and boasting a reputation for Mumbai's most exquisite bridal wear, felt like a luxurious labyrinth. Maa, ever the picture of enthusiasm, had insisted on tagging along the moment she heard about the shopping spree. Vartika, never one to miss a good shopping adventure, naturally joined the entourage.

I loved them dearly, but this collective decision-making process was turning into a full-blown fashion crisis. Every lehenga I emerged in was met with a chorus of opinions – Maa's enthusiastic approval, Vartika's critical eye, and radio silence (sometimes followed by a grimace) from Varad. There was that one emerald number I secretly loved, but Varad muttered something about the neckline being "a bit much" (thankfully, because that thing cost more than a small car).

"Alright, guys, how about this one?" I sashayed out, twirling dramatically to showcase the latest contender – a sapphire lehenga that shimmered like a summer sky.

A beat of silence followed, then a cacophony of responses.

"Gorgeous!"

"Hmm, not feeling the color."

"Can we just get on with this already?"

Yep, you guessed it – Maa, Vartika, and Varad, respectively. These Oberois were starting to give me a serious case of lehenga-induced vertigo. Maybe a little escape was in order...

"Aparna," Varad grumbled, silencing Vartika's playful groans with a pointed look. "Go find something that you like. And quickly, please."

I flashed him a silent thank you before weaving through the racks towards the salesgirl, who was now engrossed in a sparkly phone case. "Uh, hi there," I started sheepishly, "excuse me?"

She finally tore her gaze away from the screen, a flicker of recognition lighting her eyes. "Ah, yes, the bride!" she exclaimed, ushering me towards a section of lehengas tucked away in a quieter corner. The intricate embroidery on these beauties was a step above the rest, each design a masterpiece of shimmering threads and delicate beadwork.

"Wow," I breathed, running my fingers along the soft fabric. This was a whole new level of luxury – and a whole new level of anxiety. She left me alone to explore, but the urge to grab her and stage a dramatic rescue mission from the Oberoi clan was strong.

Taking a deep breath, I squared my shoulders. Lehenga hunting was a mission, and I, Aparna Sawant, would not be defeated. Except, after what felt like an eternity of sifting through silks and velvets, I was no closer to finding the holy grail: a lehenga that ticked all the boxes – stunning, Oberoi-approved, and within my non-existent budget.