✘𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐈𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐄✘

A NEW HOPE

IT WAS PRETTY OBVIOUS by the weird looks people gave you and Kawaki when walking down the street that you were not welcome in the village

IT WAS PRETTY OBVIOUS by the weird looks people gave you and Kawaki when walking down the street that you were not welcome in the village. Or were atleast perceived as outsiders.

"Did you see that boys arm?" A woman whispered to her partner, clutching onto them tightly as if you were a rabid street dog ready to bite "And that girl— my god are they both runaways?"

Kawaki would visibly tense up at their remarks. His face didn't show it, but his tightening fist certainly did. It became a regular occurrence overtime as wherever you walked, people talked. 'Who are they?', 'Should we call someone?'— there wasn't a moment the two of you were free from judgmental glares, and if this kept up, soon police would dominate the streets rather than innocents steering clear of your path.

"Kawaki, maybe we should stick to the alleyways again..." You whispered under your breath. It was then that a very noticeable glare was thrown your way by an old man, he looked to be in his mid fifties with his eyes glued onto your hospital gown. He frowned before trotting away. His mobile device must've held the law enforcement on the other line.

Kawaki didn't like the attention either of course, he never planned on even being this open with how gnarly the both of you looked. But after managing to make it to the village of the leaves (or something—you think that's what it's called) the hunger that rattled your stomach forced him to take a more confrontational approach to getting supplies. Scavenging garbage bins only left you penniless and quite frankly sick of the smell, so the boy huffed, ignoring how his arm was now numb from the pain.

"And what? Hope we find bandages, food and a map? As if." He scoffed.

...Okay...

Despite the growing anxiety in your stomach, you're grateful that the two of you weren't running anymore. It allowed you to save energy (which was much needed) and take in more of this amazing world you've found. And wow, you've never seen such a pretty village before! Every street was free of litter and grime, and colourful in some sort of way. Red wooden bars lead up to patios with benches and restaurants— each smelling equally as mouthwatering (with such a wide selection too!) You couldn't wait to one day explore the busy streets of the Hidden leaf. Maybe in a more quieter time when you're free.

If it wasn't obvious that you were an outsider from your clothes, then it was definitely from how you gaped at the most simplest of things. A colourful flag of a famous sport team? Wow! Magazines from corner shop stands? Awesome! Hopefully people shrugged you off as an ordinary country bumpkin rather than someone suspicious... but with how Kawaki gave everyone who so dared to look at him the wrong way a scowl, the facade wasn't going far. Even those who looked genuinely concerned were shooed away with a rather rude "mind your own business" and a kiss of the teeth.