King for the Night

"I want you to be my match."

Kongpob blinked a few times and tried to comprehend what that little insane man said. Not for the first time since he'd met him, Little Thing had left him staring after him, stunned and speechless.

"Now where is this coming from?"

"I want this as my reward."

"I think your mom underestimated the seriousness of the blow to your head." The Dragon said apathetically, checking the bandages on his head, and the wound under them. "I'm going to get her to take a look at you."

He started to get up, but Little Thing grabbed his arm and said, "Kong, I'm serious."

Kongpob sighed and leaned back against the headboard. What that troublemaker was up to?

"You know a relationship between witches and their familiars is forbidden."

Without batting an eye, Little Thing responded quickly and calmly and in all candor. "That's why we won't let anyone know about this."

Kongpob scoffed. And then, because he was at a loss for words, he scoffed again. That human was unbelievable, just unbelievable.

Next to him, the really unbelievable human hissed a breath as a flash of pain shot through his arm, forcing him to rub the sting from his elbow.

It was obvious that Little Thing was still in pain; he kept shifting on his side of the bed, trying to find a more comfortable position. Actually it was no surprise that he couldn't get comfortable with all those bandages. Instinctively he draped an arm across his shoulder and drew him closer to him, making him lean against his warmer body.

The dragon's natural body heat drew the human like a magnet. Snuggling closer, he laid his head against his chest.

There was a moment of silence between them as each enjoyed the feel and warmth of the other. Little Thing was intent on drawing something slowly over Kong's arm, the one still holding the medallion in his hand.

"You said if I won the tournament, you'd grant me a wish." Yes, Kongpob remembered telling him that, but he was being sarcastic!

...

Oh, damn it! Who did he think he was kidding? He knew Little Thing didn't understand sarcasm at all.

He sighed. "If I knew that this was enough to make you a decent witch, I'd have promised you this years ago."

Little Thing stopped drawing imaginary lines on his forearm and punched him lightly.

"Rude." He pouted, then continued cheerfully. "But I know you care for me too."

"Yeah, sure." He pinched his side lightly earning a quiet giggle from the human. "Look, why don't you go bother that Namtarn girl?"

"Nam? What's she got to do with this?"

"Oh, c'mon, you've been running after her for years."

"I... what?!"

Ok, now he was really starting to get irritated. "Don't pretend not to understand, you perfectly know what I'm talking about."

The human stared at him, then huffed. He huffed!

"Look, I'm sorry I missed some of our workout dates."

'Some' the huffy-puffy kid said.

He rolled his eyes.

"Whatever." Another soothing silence enveloped them. And suddenly he realized what the other had just said. "Ehi! Those were not damned dates!"