Epilogue

Chapter 10: Epilogue

“Are you sure this is absolutely necessary?” Shawn examined himself in the full-length mirror that had appeared in the Psych offices earlier in the day along with two tuxedos.

“Absolutely,” Gus said. “Are you ready yet?”

Gus slipped the studs through his French cuffs and flicked them open, locking them into place. He yanked the cummerbund into position, and then slid into his dinner jacket.

“I was born ready,” Shawn said. “Of course, I was also born naked, and that tells me there’s no actual reason for dressing up.”

“It’s for Kaylee.” Gus said as he smoothed his hand over his already smooth hair. “We’ve got to go. We’re going to be late.”

Gus scooped his car key off the coffee table and let it drop into the surprisingly roomy pocket of his pants, then headed for the street and crossed the curb to his waiting Echo. By the time he walked around to his door and slid behind the wheel, Shawn was already buckled into the passenger seat. Gus put the car into gear and pulled away from the curb.

Gus pulled the Echo up behind a long line of cars, any of which was worth at least fifteen of his. Gus opened the door and the valet handed a Gus a ticket and slid behind the wheel. Shawn stepped up to Gus on the sidewalk. “Man, this party is so popular they can’t even fit all the guests inside.” Shawn said.

Gus looked up to the broad steps that led inside Worthington Estate. They were crowded with men in tuxedos and women in gowns and jewels. Gus and Shawn started to push their way their way through the crowd. But the people on the steps were Santa Barbara’s richest and most powerful. And they weren’t used to being moved out of the way.

“Excuse me,” Gus said hopelessly. “Please, we have to get inside.”

“We all have to get inside, young man.” Snapped a gray-haired woman cocooned in silk and diamonds. “And if we have to wait, you can too.”

Shawn and Gus were about to give up and search for a side entrance when people around them began to move aside, followed by a familiar voice. “Shawn, Gus,” The man spoke happily. “I’m glad you two were able to make it. It’s been a long time.  Kaylee will be ecstatic when she see’s you two.”

“Mr. Baxter.” Gus said, extending his hand. “It’s our pleasure to be here, we wouldn’t miss it for the world, right Shawn?” But no reply came from Gus’ side. Where had Shawn gone? Scott chuckled and gestured Gus inside. “Let’s see if we can find him, shall we?”

~PSYCH~

Shawn headed off down the corridor towards the noisy ballroom and grabbed a champagne glass from off the table and took a sip. “You clean up fairly well. I was beginning to think you were a no show.” The feminine voice said. “Three years is a long time, ‘Psychic’.”

Shawn smiled and placed his glass down on the table and turned around to look at how much she’s changed over the years. Indeed she had changed dramatically over the three years, she no longer look like a child, but a young woman. She looked stunning in her strapless, red, satin gown. He truly missed her. He hadn’t seen her since their crazy adventure in the woods, but kept in contact with each other frequently. She was the little sister he never had.

“This is some rocking party,” Shawn said.

Kaylee’s pink glossed lips quirked into a smirk and shrugged her shoulders. “Please, this place is depressing.” She said. “It’s nothing but a bunch of old snobby people who are anxious to meet to new president of Worthington Enterprises and to pitch their ideas on how I should run my company.”

Shawn chuckled. “On the bright side, you’re one of the richest people in Santa Barbara now.” Shawn said, “You’ve done well for yourself kid. I’m proud of you.”

Kaylee smiled and nodded towards his ring finger. “I see you’re married now,” She said. “Congratulations, how long?”

“Going on two years now,” Shawn said. “What about you, have someone special in your life.”

Kaylee scoffed and shook her head. “Oh god no,” She said. “I’m far too busy to be dating. Besides, dad’s too overprotective and refuses to let a man deflower his one and only daughter. Though I’m afraid to know what he’ll do when that day does happen. He’ll probably end up killing him.”

“I don’t blame him,” Shawn said. “You’ve grown to be a stunning woman, you should be careful. Good thing big brother Shawn’s around to protect you while he’s not around.”

Kaylee crossed her arms over her chest. “As I recall Mr. Spencer, it was me that protected you from those thugs.” She said. “If it wasn’t for me, you’d be dead right now.”

Shawn rolled his eyes at Kaylee and with more grace than he ever showed, Shawn stepped forward, one arm tucked behind his back. He bowed gently, as he'd been taught, and then held his left hand out, palm up towards Kaylee.  Surprise lit her eyes.

“I didn’t peg you for a dancer Mr. Spencer.” She said surprised, but she placed her hand gently in his, automatically stepping up against him, their bodies pressing flush against one another. His right hand came up to rest on her shoulder blade and her hand rested on that arm. Then, with a small smile shared between them, Shawn proceeded to dance.

“I’m not,” Shawn said. “I had my father teach me this all week. It was really awkward, so you owe me one.”

As they twirled and spun around the room, a smile lit her face and good humor had her eyes sparkling. But beyond that, she never faltered, never tried to take charge from him. She trusted him totally to lead, which was an important part of dancing with someone. She even kept her eyes locked on his, something that made the dance so much easier and less dizzying.

“You never seize to amaze me ‘Psychic.” She said. “You truly are one of a kind.”

A/N: O.o It’s over! Thanks to the numerous people who’ve commented and messaged me throughout the entire story. I really appreciate your feedback and hope you really enjoyed the final chapter. Thanks a lot, love you guys!