Taking a Look Back

A/N: So it would be nice if I could get a little more feedback. I love feedback! So please, please drop a comment at the end of the chapter.  

Chapter 2: Taking a Look Back

 11 hours before kidnapping

You can say Shawn Spencer wasn’t his usual carefree self. In fact he hadn’t cracked a single joke all week. It was understandable though, his father had been recently shot. Luckily Henry Spencer had survived the almost fatal gunshot, but since that day Shawn Spencer hadn’t been the same.

Gus was just heading toward the door when it swung open and Shawn ambled into the office, bouncing a small, hard rubber ball.

“Where have you been?” Gus demanded.

“And just when you think everything has been invented,” Shawn said as he tossed the ball against the far wall. It flew back into his hand. “Some genius comes up with some brilliant idea called Extreme Handball.”

Shawn took careful aim and hurled the ball across the room. It bounced off the floor and ricocheted into a vase on the counter shattering it into pieces as it hit the floor, then flew back to Shawn.

“We’re going to meet a client,” Gus said. “And after we meet her, we are going to take the case.”

Shawn stared at Gus in disbelief. “Dude, I already told you. I’m not taking any cases right now.”

Gus tried to keep from getting angry.  “I don’t know why you’re making this so difficult,” Gus said. “You love cases. You never turn away a case.”

“Except for this case,” Shawn said. “I am turning this one away.”

“You are not,” Gus said. “We are meeting…”

The door opened and Gus looked up to what he thought was their potential client, who promised them a surprising amount of money. Actually, it was a child. Gus guessed no older than the age of fourteen. Her dirty blonde hair was pulled into a messy ponytail and she had blazing blue eyes.  She wore denim jeans with knee high boots, along with a green t-shirt along with a matching color jacket.

“Is this the detective agency?” The young girl asked, her voice trembling.

Gus jumped out of his chair.

“Welcome to Psych,” he said, holding out a hand. “Come in. I’m Burton Guster and this is…”

“Shawn Spencer, I know. I’m a big fan.” She smiled weakly.

Gus saw her grimace as she took a quick glance around the office at the frat-boy-with-a-credit-card décor. The leather armchairs, the wide flat screen and the comic books scattered over the coffee table.