The Call

A/N: Sorry for the late update everyone. My Beta reader refused to read this for a while. I’ve had it done for a month. >.< Damn husband!  Please make sure to drop a review. It would totally make my day.

Chapter 5: The call

“He’s up to something.” Shawn said.

Gus took one last look around Chance Worthington’s office as they stepped back into the corridor, trying to calculate just how much bigger it was than every place he’d ever lived put together.

 “Yeah, he’s up to about five billion dollars as far as I can tell.” Gus said. 

“And how do you think he got all that money?” Said Shawn.

“Did you not listen to a word he had to say earlier?” Gus said. “He inherited his brother’s assets, not to mention he’s a wealthy invest-“

Shawn raised a hand to cut him off. “Isn’t it suspicious that a day after Chance Worthington’s murder his will is under investigation? That apparently a new will just turned up out of the blue. Doesn’t that strike you as odd?”

 “Not necessarily,” Gus said. “It could have been a complete coincidence.”

“Exactly!”

“Exactly what?”

“Exactly what Auric Goldfinger said: First time its happenstance. Second time it’s coincidence. Third time is enemy action.”

Gus tried to follow his logic. “Then this isn’t even a coincidence. We’re still on happenstance. You know, I was prepared to share your prejudices and suspicions about this man, but I think he’s pretty clearly proved you wrong. He’s been nothing but friendly and welcoming since we got here.” Gus said. “You can’t stand this guy because he’s one man that isn’t going to let you manipulate him. You can’t take advantage of Bradley Worthington, so you have to find some way to say he’s a bad guy.”

“I do not take advantage of people.” Shawn Said. 

“You’ve been taking advantage of me since we were kids.” Gus Said.

Shawn scoffed and proceeded back down the corridor towards Kaylee’s room until his gaze fell on a picture on the wall. In the picture the woman was sitting on a swing, obviously pregnant, with a smiling man standing behind her, which he recognized as Chance Worthington.

 “She was beautiful wasn’t she?” The man said quietly, almost whispering.

Gus and Shawn wheeled around to find the chauffeur standing there. He took a few steps towards Shawn and Gus and gently removed the picture off the wall, caressing the glass over her cheek. “Her name was Sophia. She was Kaylee’s mother.” He said. “She passed away when Kaylee was just a small child.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.” Shawn said.

“Me too,” He whispered. “She was loved dearly.”

Smiling he hung the picture back on the wall and led them down to Kaylee’s room. “This is Miss Kaylee’s room.” He said, opening the bedroom door, motioning Shawn and Gus to enter. “I hope you can find something that will lead you to her whereabouts. She has high faith in you Mr. Spencer. All she ever does is talk about your accomplishments.”

Gus forced himself to suppress a grin, he could have sworn he saw Shawn blush for a moment, but refrained from saying anything. “Are you kidding?” Shawn waved his arm around the room. One wall was covered by a flat-screen TV the size of the freeway exit sign.

 A door on the opposite side led to a closet that seemed to run the entire length of the corridor, one side was filled with endless quantities of custom made clothing, while the other side was pure shelving. Shawn sighed and took a hard look at Kaylee’s closet. And he saw.  Saw award plaques, books and various other small items fallen over. Except for one item, that was sitting perfectly in its place. Shawn took a step forward and wrapped a hand around a trophy and pulled it back towards him. “Don’t pull that!” The chauffeur warned.