Prologue

Y/N POV:

Seven years old...

"This is why no one wants to be friends with you." Ashley flicked one of my pigtails. "You're ugly and no one will ever want to play with you." Turning to her band of friends, she raised an eyebrow, something no seven year old should be doing. "Isn't that right?" The other girls laughed as the tears streamed down my face. "Come on. Let's get out of here before someone thinks we're actually friends with her." Ashley turned and walked away, the others following behind her.

Sitting on the swing, I kicked at the dirt below my feet, trying not to let her words get to me, trying to not let them bother me. "Don't listen to her. She's just being mean."

Stunned by the voice behind me, I turned to see a boy with dark hair and a hesitant smile on his face. Not knowing what he wanted or who he was, I tried to move quickly away from the swing, but I tripped in the sand and landed on my butt.

The boy moved towards me slowly, hand held out. "It's okay. I'm not going to hurt you." His smile was sweet and he looked like he was telling the truth. "What's your name?"

I hesitated, not sure if I could trust this boy. "Um... my... my name is Y/N." Seeing as he still had his hand out, I reached out and took it, letting him help me to my feet.

His smile grew bigger as I spoke. "Well Y/N. My name is Namjoon, but my friends call me Joon."

Fourteen years old...

"Eww... did you see her haircut? What was she thinking?" Ashley's voice was loud behind me and when I went to turn around, Namjoon stopped me, clinging tightly to my hand.

He shook his head, directing my attention back to him. "Stop. Don't even think about listening to them."

Realizing that she wasn't getting a reaction out of me, Ashley's voice grew louder. "And poor Joonie. I can't believe he wants to be stuck with such a weirdo."

I could see Namjoon grit his teeth next to me, a silent sign that he was angry. I went to speak, but he shook his head again. "No. You're my best friend because I want you to be. Don't worry. In three weeks, we will go to high school. There will be a bunch of new people and you won't have to think about them anymore. And plus, you will always have me."

Nodding my head, I tried to listen to him. Ever since that day on the playground seven years ago, Namjoon had been my best friend. We had done everything together and had become incredibly close. Over the last year, I had done the worst possible thing and started to develop a crush on my best friend. It was almost impossible not to. He was sweet, funny, and so cute. He made me laugh when I wanted to cry and believed in me whenever I didn't want to believe in myself. I knew I was lucky to have in my life and hoped things would never change.

Eighteen years old...

"Will... will you go to the formal with me?"

"Of course!"

Not wanting to see the sight in front of me, I turned away from my best friend (or should I say ex best friend) who had just asked my arch nemesis to the spring formal. Yes. Kim Namjoon, the boy who had protected me from all of those robotic Barbie dolls all those years ago, just asked Ashley, the one who started it all to the spring formal.

I don't even know what happened. At the end of our third year in high school, we had been talking about the colleges we wanted to go to, the places we wanted to see, the trips we wanted to take. He left for a few weeks in the summer like he always did to visit his grandparents and when he came back, he was completely different. He had been back for two weeks and hadn't yet called me. When I had gone to his house to see him, he had given me the nastiest glare I had ever seen and told me he never wanted to see me again. I had tried to ask for an explanation, but he had slammed the door in my face.

We had started school two weeks later and within three weeks, he was dating Ashley. I couldn't stop the feelings of betrayal that washed over me whenever I saw them together, but I tried to push it out of my mind. I don't know what I had done wrong, but I knew I would never get a chance to figure it out either.

To make matters worse, the crush I had developed at thirteen had blossomed into my first love. I had realized it the summer after our second year in high school. He had come back from his grandparents three inches taller, a bright smile on his face and a hug for me that felt like home. His scent was the same, a combination of pine and berries, a scent that I had always associated with him, one that pulled me in like a drug. When he had enveloped me in those strong arms, I knew I was in love.

"What's got you all sad baby doll?" An arm draped around my shoulders and I turned to see Eric, the friend I had made the first day of this school year. We were in the same advanced biology class and when he had come in, new to the school, he was given the weirdest looks. He ignored them all, spotted the empty seat next to me and had sauntered over. He introduced himself as my new best friend and we had been close ever since.

I gestured with a thumb over my shoulder at the happy couple and Eric's eyes softened. "He... he asked her to the formal."

"Aww my baby doll. It's going to be all right. How about you go with me?" Surprised by Eric's question, I looked up at him. "We could have fun, me and you."

Knowing Eric was dead set against going, I knew he was only doing this to make me feel better, make the hurt I was feeling a little bit less. "You know what? I've got a better idea. It's the last weekend before graduation. How about we go on a road trip? We can drive up the coast and stay in one of those hotels on the beach."

Eric grinned, his smile brighter than the sun. "Keep talking. I'm liking where this is going."

Pinching his side, I laughed when he yelped in protest. "I'm serious. We can ask your brother to get us a couple of bottles of wine. Then we can get drunk on the beach and trash talk all the assholes who have made our lives miserable this last year."

"How about a little sex on the beach?" Eric raised his eyebrows at me in what I'm sure was supposed to be seductively, but I just shook my head. "That's always an option, right?"

Shrugging my shoulders, I just gave him a smile. "You never know. It could be." 

A/N:  I was going to wait to post this until I had both the prologue and first chapter ready, but I wanted to get your thoughts on it so far.  So please let me know what you think!