Chapter 4 - Grieving

Daria's POV :

I happily took a seat on my bed, looking around the room at all the things we'd picked out today. I'd already taken a bath and changed into a pair of fluffy pajama pants with fairies on them and a black t-shirt by the time there was a tap at the door and dad poked his head inside. "Hey, Daria. It's all set and Y/N put her number in here too." He said handing  over the phone. I'd picked out a clear case with a multi color panda on it. I'd never had a phone before so I was really excited. Until... "This is for you to be able to talk to friends and family, play games, do reading for school. But no social media, until you're 12 or 13." he adds. "what's the point then? can I at least have tiktok or something?" I roll my eyes, pretty much every kid I know has it, whether their parents know it or not. "We'll talk about it in a year or two, for now let's stay away from it." He stated calmly. Nobody needs to know... I really don't have to listen to you I think to myself but decide to keep my comment to myself. "Okay." I said with a sigh.

Daveed's POV :

I didn't want to come off as overbearing or lame or too strict but social media can be a lot. Hopefully she isn't too let down by the rule. I join her on the edge of her bed and pull her into a hug. A week ago I never would've seen this coming. Ever. My mind wanders briefly. I wonder what she was like as a baby. Did she like to be rocked to sleep? Lullabies? bedtime stories? I hate that I missed out on those things when she was younger. I missed her first birthday, first steps, first word. I would've put everything aside for her. I just met her and she's already the most important thing in the world to me. "Goodnight, Daria." I said kissing her head softly. "Goodnight, Dad." Daria smiles.

About a week passes, I'm not used to being up near this early. I pile scrambled eggs on a plate accompanied by a piece of toast and sit it in front of Daria. It was her first day of school. Daria quietly picked over her food as I took a seat myself and began to eat. "You excited?" I asked her. "No." She said quietly, her eyes filled with tears. Before I can say anything else, she runs off to her room.
I follow behind her, knocking on the door which she'd locked behind her. I could hear her crying and it tore me to pieces. "Daria? Talk to me, kid. What's wrong?" I called through the door. No response, just quiet sobs. Dammit. I step away and dial, y/n. That woman has been my hero the last week.

Y/N's POV :

I step out of the bathroom, clad in a towel and decide I'd wear my hair up today. I finished tying it up and go to put on the outfit I'd laid on my bed when I hear my phone ringing. I pick it up, Daveed.. oh. "Hey, Diggs." I answer, "It's early. Is everything ok?" I ask. "It's Daria's first day of school and she had a melt down and locked herself in her room." Daveed explained. Oh poor girl. Her file mentioned she'd been through some bullying at her old school. Maybe it was that, or the kid just missed her mom. "I can stop by before work and see if I can get her to talk. " I offer. "Thank you. That would be great." Daveed said, the relief obvious in his voice. Awhile later I arrive at their house, and Daveed let's me in. I tap on Daria's bedroom door. We'd painted the door itself a light pink color, and hanging on it was a sparkling letter D. He'd really went all out for her room, I'll give him that. "Daria.. It's y/n." I said through the door. "I know you're upset, and I'm here if you wanna talk." I added. The door opened slightly and the girl returned to her bed where she sat drying her eyes. I pushed the door back behind us. "I miss my mom." Daria confirmed, "Everything is so different. It's good different. Do you think it'd upset her to know I'm happy to be here with Dad now?" She asked. "I know, it's a lot of changes, D. I think your Mom would be happy to know that you're happy, safe and loved here with your Dad." I said softly. "School is gonna suck." Daria sighed. "You don't know that. I'm sure you'll make new friends and adjust fine.." I reassure her. "Thank you, y/n." Daria says hugging me tightly. "I'm here whenever you need me, D." I say.