Chapter 6 - Oh Snap

Daveed's POV:

"Come on dad!" Daria hurried me along, it was still strange to hear. That I was 'Dad' to someone. Briefly I wonder if I'll ever get used to it, used to the absolute joy it is to be a father. Lin had invited us to dinner tonight, and Daria was more than thrilled to meet and play with Lin's little son Sebastian. His wife Vanessa had also yet to meet her. We headed for the door and made our way over.

Y/N's POV :

I knock on my brother's door, a platter of cupcakes in my arms, I can't cook worth a shit much less bake but I figured the least I could do would be to buy desert for us all. The door swings open to reveal my overly excited Hermano but my eyes fix on the figure behind him. Daveed! No one told me he'd be here. Suddenly I wished I hadn't opted for a simple Disney villains T-shirt and yoga pants but I was exhausted and believed I'd only be entertaining family tonight. "Hermanita, Bienvenido a la fiesta." Lin said with a smirk (Translation: Little sister, welcome to the party.) "Lin-Manuel, ¿Qué estás haciendo?" I respond in Spanish (Translation: Lin-Manuel, what are you up to?).  "¿Estás tratando de configurar a Daveed y más?" I added (Are you trying to set Daveed and I up?). He was up to something. He had to be. "Im not up to a thing, Dear sister." He chuckled letting me in. "Y/N!" Daria exclaimed excitedly. "Hey, Daria! How's it going?" I ask.

Daveed's POV:

Y/N's here.. play it cool. It's her brother's house, of course she might show up to dinner, why hadn't I thought of that?. Lin doesn't do coincidences, I'm willing to bet he did this on purpose and that's what their conversation in Spanish had been about. We're his latest project, and he is dedicated as fuck to his projects. Oh God. Daria chatted Y/N up, telling her about toys she'd gotten and everything else under the sun. I'd still been too stunned to see her to say hi.
Throughout dinner we all made pleasant small talk, Vanessa had purposely ushered me to the seat next to Y/N. They were not subtle. Not one bit. But it was okay with me. Dinner started to wind down and Y/N says goodbyes to her family as she was getting ready to leave. "Let me walk you out?" I offered. She nodded.

We step outside feeling the cool breeze as I walk her to her car, "I.. just wanted to thank you again for all of the help with Daria." I said. She smiled softly back at me, her gorgeous brown eyes staring up at me. "It's no problem, really." She said. This woman had me completely captivated. I was falling fast. Without another thought, I pull her into a passionate kiss, her lips on mine was everything I needed in that moment. "Wow... " she said. "I'm sorry if... " I started. "No. No. That was amazing." She says. I smile, "Well in that case, would you like to go out with me this weekend?" I asked. "I'd love that, Diggs." She responded.

Daria's POV -

I gasp excitedly as Lin and I gazed out the window, "They're kissing!" I said. "Up top, kiddo." Lin celebrated tagging me five.

The next day was a long one, I started school. It sucked being the new kid, it sucked not having a mom and no friends at school. A couple of kids were nice to me but I wouldn't say they were my friends yet. Y/N was my friend.

I search for a movie while Dad gets the ice cream. He hands me my bowl and just as he takes a seat next to me, my phone gets a notification. The distinct sound of a Snapchat notification. Uh oh.

Daveed's POV :

I know that wasn't what I think it was I think to myself. "Daria Daniella Diggs, what was that?" I ask, sternly as I can muster. I'm still new to this. "Umm.. Your phone maybe?" She said as her eyes widened. And there it was again. Definitely her phone, definitely Snapchat. "Phone. Now." I said. She hesitantly hands it over with a sigh. She'd downloaded both Snapchat and Instagram. I don't open either app, deciding that snooping wouldn't be beneficial to either of us but I do uninstall both and pocket the phone. She looks at me in confusion. "If you can't follow the rules, you can't have the phone, kid." I said with a sigh. "Dad! you uninstalled it, just give it back." she whined. Stand your ground Daveed, stand your ground. You can do this. "You knew you weren't supposed to have those apps and you lied to me and broke my trust. I said no social media for your own safety, Daria Diggs. You'll get it back in about a week." I state. She huffs putting her ice cream on the coffee table and heading to her room. Shit. I did the right thing right?