7: Two Dark Knights

"Sorry for making you wait, my good friend." You looked up to Ainz as he exited the adventurers guild to the sight of you and Nabe watching over the Wise King as people gathered into the nighttime streets to look at the fabled beast.

You waved his apology off, watching him approach you.

  "I finished the registration. From this day forth, your name is Hamusuke." Momon decreed to the massive hamster, jumping onto his back with a hop.

  "Thank you very much, Master." Hamusuke told Momon, to the shock of the townspeople.

  "It spoke!" A man exclaimed.

  "Amazing!" A woman added.

  "Is it true the owner is a copper plate!?"

  "He's in such an amazing magical creature, isn't he actually a famous adventurer?" As the people spoke, an old woman pushed through the crowd, gasping as her eyes locked onto Momon and yourself. With a hurried pace, she jogged over in a pace only possible with a woman familiar to the line of work.

  "Hey, you two. Are you the ones who went with my grandson to collect herbs?" She asked, a smile on her face.

  "I am Lizzy Balear, Nphirea's grandmother." She introduced herself.

  "Ah. We accompanied him to Carne Village as his bodyguard." Momon confirmed with a nod.

  "My name is Momon, my armored companion is Laurence, and the young woman is Nabe. Also..." Hamusuke lifted his head to face the old lady.

"I am the Wise King of the Forest. My name is Hamusuke now, it is!" He introduced himself.

"So this great magical creature is the legendary Wise King of the Forest?" Liszt asked. Hamusuke lifted his head in pride as Momon answered.

"That's right. We met him during your grandson's request and beat him into submission." He explained.

"Amazing! And so, where is my grandson right now?" Lizzy asked, curious.

"He went ahead with his herbs. We are about to head to your home to collect our reward." Momon answered.

"Oh, I see. Then, why don't we go together?" Lizzy offered. You and Momon locked eyes, your glassy eyes shining with blue eyes under your helm meeting the red glare accompanying Ainz's sockets under his visor.

"Yes, with pleasure." Momon agreed.

...

"Nphirea! Mr. Momon and Mr. Laurence are here!" Lizzy called out into a dark home as she entered, you just inside and Momon standing in the doorway. Nothing but silence greeted her call. Silence, and a stench of death only you could feel.

"Momonga... there is death." You spoke into Ainz's head. In response, you both drew your blades, stepping forward.

As for how you knew this so quickly, the Moon Great One held a powerful ability that offered players a chance to join their ranks after defeat. In return for a set time of servitude agreed upon between Great One and Player, the player would gain boosted stats and new class abilities, which could be revoked if they turned against their agreed contract.

  However, they needed to fall by either your hand or that of a beast, so that they grew afflicted with the scourge. While you could feel potential souls to call out to, you could not help them unless you were there to put your blood into their veins before their final heartbeats.

"What's going on?" Lizzy asked, stepping through the darkness.

  "Trouble." Momon answered. As you both stepped forward, Lizzy looked back at you both, reeling back from the sight of two knights holding their blades.