Chapter 1

TW: Swearing

Darryl

"Move it, loser."

I yelped in pain as I was shoved into a locker.

I rubbed the back of my head and glared at the shorter boy.

"Asshole." I muttered under my breath, picking myself up.

I watched as he walked through the hallway with his friends.

I groaned in pain as I touched the back of my head gently. My head had hit the locker right on a past bruise I had gotten earlier that week.

I grabbed my backpack and walked out of the school. I headed down the block, kicking rocks across the concrete.

I can't deal with him anymore. I have to start standing up for myself. I had thought about things I could do all week. I was pretty skinny, and I was considered the "nerd" of the school, which is probably why I'm pushed around by Zak and his friends all the time. Having good grades and having glasses does not make me a nerd. I sighed as I tugged my hoodie sleeves down and walked up the front steps of my house.

"Mom, I'm home!" I yelled, throwing my backpack in the dining room.

She appeared from the kitchen with a smile on her face.

"How was school?" She asked, setting down the kitchen rag she was holding and hugging me.

I faked a smile and said,

"It was good!"

My mom didn't know about Zak. Even though her telling the school would help my cause, I didn't want to go tattle and have others deal with him. I wanted to do it myself.

"Your father will be home around five, and we'll go out where you want for your birthday." She said as she disappeared back into the kitchen.

I had totally forgotten today was my sixteenth birthday. I had been caught up in all this Zak stuff; I didn't even realize.

I ran upstairs and lay on my bed. I grabbed my phone out of my hoodie pocket. I scrolled through my notifications—lots of notifications from Youtube and Discord. I eventually hit a few messages from my friends Ant and Cara. I clicked on them and slightly smiled at the happy birthday messages.

They have been my only friends ever since we were younger. We were all picked on by Zak. Ant for being gay, Cara for being a "weak girl," and me for being a "nerd." We've stuck together, trying to protect each other from Zak and his friends.

I turned off my phone and threw it onto my bed. I got up and looked at myself in the mirror. I pulled my long, brown hair into a small ponytail and changed clothes. I put on a black t-shirt with a red jacket and a pair of dark blue jeans. I threw on my favorite tennis shoes and sat at my desk. I opened my computer and scrolled through youtube. I picked a video to watch while I struggled with my earrings. I got my ears pierced a while ago, but I never really changed the earings out. I took out the black studs and put in small silver hoops. It took me a while, but I eventually put them in. It freaked me out, putting things through my skin. I don't know how I had the bravery to do it. I suppose it was my mom who kept trying to convince me.

I sighed as I slumped down into my chair. I didn't really feel sixteen. As soon as I turned sixteen, my dad said he'd start training me to work and run his company.

I glanced up at the Minecraft video I was watching.

I didn't want to take the business. I wanted to stream and post videos online.

I heard the front door open, and I glanced at the time.

"It's five already?" I muttered as I got up from my desk.

I shut off my computer and grabbed my phone before running downstairs.

"Happy birthday Darryl!"

I hugged my father and gave him a small smile.

"I can't believe you're already sixteen!" He laughed, sitting down at the dining table with my mom.

"We got you something extra special." He said proudly, pulling out a small box. He handed it to me, and I gently held it in my hands.

"Should I open it right now?" I asked, wondering what it was.

"Go ahead." My mother said as I lifted the lid off the small cardboard box.

"My- house keys?" I picked them up before looking at them more closely.

Attached to the keyring, there were car keys.

"You guys got me a car?" I asked excitedly, jumping up and down.

"We thought we could go get your license tonight. You've been such a great kid lately, and we thought you deserved something special."

I grinned as I heard them close to my chest.

"Why don't you go outside and look at it?" My father asked.

I ran outside and looked out into the driveway.

There sat a four-door, hard-top, red jeep.

I immediately ran up to it and peered inside. This had been my dream car forever. Even when I was little, the idea of taking the doors and roof off of a car exited me.

I turned around and ran to hug my parents, who had stepped out onto the front porch.

"You guys are the best!" I said while still gripping onto them.

"Come on, let's go get your license." My dad said, ruffling my hair.