Chapter 8

Chapter 8

TW: Swearing

Darryl

I ran home from school and jumped onto my bed.

I'm going on a date.

My first ever date.

And it's with Zak.

Realization sat in at that very moment.

My heart started racing, and I began to panic.

"Is this a trick? Is this just for laughs? Maybe I shouldn't go-" I thought.

"Darryl?"

I heard a knock, and then my door opened.

"How was school?"

It was my Mom, and she leaned against my door frame.

"It was just school, I guess." I said.

My Mom nodded.

"Your Dad's working late again, and I have some school work, so you'll have to make your own dinner."

"Okay." I said as my Mom left my room.

As much as I loved my parents, I hated how little we ever spent time together. It felt like they always had school or work.

My Dad works at his company, and my Mom is going back to school for social work.

I don't have a job; no matter how much I begged my Mom to let me try to apply to one, she always said no. There was no use in asking my Dad, as It always seemed like he was out working late.

I only see him like once a week.

I took a deep breath before standing up and walking to my bathroom.

I took a shower and then picked out some nice-ish clothes. I didn't want to look like a complete idiot if this was all a joke, getting all dressed up.

I sat down at my desk and decided to knock out some homework. I still had an hour or two, and I might as well use my time wisely.

I pulled out my computer and scrolled through my google classroom. I cringed at the text that said, "Genetics Project Due Friday!"

"It's only Wednesday, so I'll just do the project tomorrow. And if the date tonight goes well, maybe Zak will help me." I thought, picking at my nail polish.

I sighed as I shut my computer, opened my math book, and started working.

---

"Finally." I groaned, shutting my math book.

I glanced at my alarm clock. The time read "8:00 PM."

I jumped out of my chair and quickly got dressed in the clothes I had set out earlier.

I ran downstairs and ate some leftovers before walking around the house, looking for my shoes.

I glanced into my Mom's room and saw her with some headphones on.

She wouldn't notice if I just left, right?

I rechecked the time, and it had been about thirty minutes.

"Why does Zak want to meet on Main street? It's like ten minutes away." I muttered, grabbing my phone and car keys.

I carefully left the house, careful not to make too much noise.

I got in my car and started the drive.

Zak

I sat anxiously in my room, waiting for my Mom to leave.

Somehow she had found out I had vaped and was now searching my whole room.

It was a one-time thing, and it wasn't even my vape. It was Clays, and I had tried it about two weeks ago.

I tried explaining this to my Mom, but she didn't care and just kept lecturing me.

I didn't get the big deal, considering she smokes cigarettes every day.

Things like, "If I had a girl, I wouldn't have to deal with this shit." were thrown around, but I've heard them all too many times.

"Mom, I don't have one. Can you just leave me alone? I have homework to do."

A lie, of course.

She gave me a death stare before slamming the drawer she had just been searching through.

"You're grounded. Give me your phone."

I rolled my eyes and handed her my phone.

Grounding didn't affect me. I know exactly where she puts my stuff, so I'll just grab it before I leave.

She shoved my phone into her pocket and then slammed my bedroom door.

I sighed before deciding to get ready for me and Darryl's "Date."

If I want this to seem real, I'll have to look nice. Maybe I'll also pick up some flowers for him.

I put on a white collard shirt with a pair of nice black jeans. I searched through my closet, pulled out a cyan-blue tie, and tied it around my neck.

I walked to my bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror.

"I look pretty nice." I thought as I fluffed up my hair.

I haven't gotten dressed up in a while. I did go on a date a few weeks ago, but I usually don't bother to get dressed up. The relationships never last more than a few days anyway.
I took a deep breath before heading downstairs to the kitchen.

I rummaged around in the snack cabinet before pulling out my phone.

I ran back upstairs and shoved my phone and wallet into my back pocket.

I took one final deep breath before climbing out of my window.

I climbed down the side of the house, and I headed towards Main Street.

As worried as I was, I was pretty excited, and I might as well try to have a little fun.

I decided to stop into a flower shop nearby, purchasing a small bouquet of red and white flowers.

I mean, I've never gone on a "date" with another guy before. I don't know if they like flowers? But I always used to buy them for my girlfriends, so why not.

I slowed walked my way towards where I'd said I'd meet Darryl, and I sat down on the curb while I waited.

I scrolled mindlessly through my phone, waiting for the time to hit nine.

"Uhm- Hi Zak."

I looked up to see Darryl standing in front of me.

I quickly stood up and awkwardly stared at him. 

"I got these for you." I held out the flowers, and Darryl gently held them in his hands.

"Zak I- This was very sweet- Thank you."  

We stood there awkwardly for a few more seconds before I grabbed his hand. 

"Come on! We're wasting time!"