Chapter 4

Chapter 4

TW: Swearing

Zak

I listened to the soft sound of rain on the school roof as I stood in the hallway alone.

I turned around and stared at the crumpled paper.

I slowly bent down and snatched it up. I smoothed it out and looked at the number scribbled out in red pen.

I shoved it in my back pocket and headed towards the front door. I flipped my hoodie over my head and walked out into the rain. It was hard rain, and it looked like the streets would start flooding.

"Of course. If only I didn't get that fucking detention, I wouldn't have to deal with the rain." I grumbled.

I started the walk home, and not even halfway there, I was completely soaked.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I love the rain, and I walk in the rain often. But it's not fun when you're constantly thinking about your valuables on you getting wet.

I pretty much ran the rest of the way home, and when I got inside the house, I ran up to my room and took off my sopping wet hoodie.

I reached into my back pocket and pulled out my phone, praying it was okay. Luckily, it turned on and seemed fine. I took a sigh of relief, and I threw it on my bed as I went and showered. After I was in some nice dry clothes, I laid down on the bed and picked up my phone.

As I did, I touched something soggy on the back of it. I quickly flipped it over, and my heart started pounding.

On the back was the paper that had Darryl's number. Well- used to.

The pen ink had bled to the point where it was unrecognizable.

I carefully took it off the back of my phone and tried to read it.

But there was no use. It was too screwed up.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I rolled it into a ball the threw it across my room.

I sat there in bed, shaking, trying to hold in my emotions.

However, then I got mad at myself.

Why do I care? I hate Darryl. He's just a fucking fag like his friends.

"I hate him, I hate him, I hate him-" I whispered to myself over and over.

I looked outside and noticed headlights.

I had to get out of here quickly.

I jumped out of bed and snatched some money and my phone, quickly putting it in a Ziploc so it wouldn't get wet.

I shoved it in my pocket and quickly escaped out my bedroom window into the pouring rain. I shut it and carefully clung onto the roof as I heard my Mom screaming for me and about how I better open the door before she killed me.

I carefully snuck down the roof, being as slow as possible to be careful I didn't slip.

I jumped to the ground and headed to the convenience store once again. This time, however, Instead of running through the rain, I took my time and enjoyed the sounds and the feeling of the rain against my skin. I absolutely loved the rain, and I immediately calmed down.

Like every night, I went in and bought a Monster. I checked out quickly and then stepped outside under the awning outside. I threw away my receipt in a nearby trashcan and walked in the opposite direction from my house.

I didn't really know where I was going, but I just wanted to find a nice spot under a tree or something. I walked for about ten minutes before spotting a park. It wasn't like the park on my side of town; instead of lovely gardens and trees, it had swing sets and play structures. I walked through the park and made my way to one of the play structures. I climbed up a rope ladder and sat underneath the plastic roof, and I popped open the monster and took a few sips.

I leaned my head back against the wall and sat in silence. My thoughts started to wander as I thought about what my Mom would do to me when I got home. She never really physically abused me; it was mostly just mentally. There was probably going to be lots of yelling. This was only the third time I was caught, so hopefully, it wouldn't be too bad. I thoughts about all the different scenarios and what I'd say back to different things my Mom might say to me. I was just about done with my monster as a loud crack of lightning lit up the sky, bringing me back to reality.

I sighed and climbed down from the structure, not bothering to throw away the can. I walked across the park and over to the swing set, where I sat for a while.

At this point, I was completely soaked again, and the hoodie I was wearing was heavy on me. I swung for a bit before deciding that it was probably getting unsafe to be out.

I jumped off the swing from a decent height, and I ended up missing my feet and rolling across the grass.

I laughed to myself, having more fun than I'd had in a while.

Even though I was sixteen, I still had the mind of a toddler sometimes. The smallest things made me excited, like swinging or stuffed animals.

I picked myself up off the ground and dusted some grass and dirt off of myself. I glanced at my hoodie sleeves and looked at the grass stains.

I decided to just shrug it off.

They'll probably come out in the wash.

I headed down the sidewalk, squinting at the closest street sign.

"Fourteenth Street." I whispered to myself.

Then I realized.

I had no clue where I was.

I pulled my phone out and tried to tap on the screen through the bag, but it was dead.

Of course.

I was lost on the opposite side of town, with no phone or access to a map.

I decided to just wander the streets until I found one that was familiar.

After what seemed like an hour, my feet hurt, and I felt like I was going to pass out.

I collapsed onto the side of the street and watched the water stream around my shoes.

I took about a five-minute break before getting up and continuing my walk.

I walked in the road for about ten minutes before seeing headlights behind me. I moved to the side and stepped onto the sidewalk, waiting for the car to pass.

However, it didn't.

Instead, it slowed down, and I decided to just keep walking in attempt to let them know I was fine and to keep driving.

What I didn't expect, was to hear a familiar voice scream my name from behind me.

"ZAK?"