Chapter 13

Chapter 13

TW: Swearing

Zak

I walked through the school hallways slowly, looking around for Nick.

I spotted Clay standing in a doorway with Darryl, George, Ant, and Cara.

I just pulled my hoodie down over my eyes and kept walking.

"Zak!!"

I heard the familiar annoying voice as Charlotte clung to my side.

"Hi, Charlotte." I said in a dull tone.

She leaned up and kissed me on the cheek.

"I'll see you later at my cheer practice!" She chirped.

"I'm going to your cheer practice?"

"I mean, of course! You're my boyfriend!" She paused before continuing.

"Anyways, I have to get to class now. I'll see you later!"

I watched as she pranced off.

"God, she's so annoying." I muttered.

I kept walking through the hallway to my next class. I arrived a bit later and sat down at my desk. A few people gave comments about Charlotte and our "relationship." I just brushed them away, trying to speak to anyone as little as possible.

I leaned back in my chair and put my earbuds in as the teacher started talking.

-

"Nick. I don't know how much longer I can take of Charlotte before I go crazy." I groaned.

"Dude, you guys are the talk of the school! You're the cutest couple ever."

"If you think she's so amazing, you date her." I muttered.

He looked behind me and rolled his eyes.

"Don't look. Clay is over there."

I glanced behind me and saw Clay laughing with his new friends. I'd never seen him look so happy.

"Why don't we invite him over here? I mean, Clay is Still Cl-"

"No. He's gay, Zak. He'll ruin our reputation." He snapped.

I looked down at the table and traced my fingers along the cracks.

"I guess your right."

-

I kicked my legs up onto the bottom row of the bleachers while I watched Charlotte do cheer stuff. It was hella boring. It had only been about two minutes, and I was already bored out of my mind.

"Goodluck, guys!"

I glanced up from my phone to see Clay, Ant, and Darryl entering the bleachers.

Clay and I made eye contact before he pointed and whispered something to Darryl and Ant.

Ant stuck his tongue out and gave me the finger before the three of them walked to the opposite side of the bleachers.

I really fucked up, didn't I?

I need to find a way to make this right.

I didn't pay any attention to Charlotte, and instead, I watched George and Cara.

I never knew until today that the two of them did cheer, and they were actually pretty good.

I kept glancing back and forth between Clay and the field.

Darryl was a lost cause. There's no way he'd forgive me for what I did. 

Clay may not either. But I at least have to try. 

He's been my best friend ever since second grade, and I really don't want to lose him. 

I stood up and dusted my hoodie off before walking over to Clay. 

I tapped him on the shoulder and awkwardly stood there as the three of them looked at me. 

"Clay, could I please talk to you." I muttered, looking at the ground. 

"Wouldn't that be embarrassing for you to take to a gay kid?" He rolled his eyes before turning back around. 

"Clay, please." I begged. 

"I'll give you five minutes. But I swear to fucking god Zak if you give me any shit, I'm done with you. "

He stood up, and we walked under the bleachers. 

I stood in silence and just looked at the taller male. 

"What do you want to say? Your wasting time."

"Clay, I'm truly sorry. I just didn't want to lose Nick and he-"

"You should have stood up for me."

"Don't act like your so innocent. You've been bullying people for being gay for years too!"  

"I only did it because of you and Nick."

"And I only did it because of you!" I yelled.

I was shaking with anger, and I felt my eyes water with tears. 

"You know what, Zak? If you really were my friend, you would have dumped Nick. But I guess I'm not as important as your popularity." 

I blinked a few times, and a tear fell down my cheek. 

"Clay- Please-" I cried, my voice breaking. 

"Goodbye Zak."

And then he left.

Left me under the bleachers, left alone, with no one to turn to.