Chapter 10

Chapter 10

TW: Swearing

Zak

As I sat in my study hall, I just fidgeted with my pencil and thought about last night.

It felt so surreal-

And as much as I hated the thought of it,

I had fun.

Darryl's a great guy, and I kind of hate myself for what I've been doing to him all these years.

I glanced down at the work I couldn't get myself to focus on.

I wanted to get all my homework done before this weekend, because of the game and all.

And yeah, sure, it probably didn't help that I took half of the science project work from Darryl, but I just felt inclined to do it.

I want to do a good job on it as well, but you can't do that when you can't fucking focus.

I laid my head down on the table and listened to the music in my ears.

The table suddenly shook, and I shot up. I looked next to me and saw Darryl.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, sounding meaner than intended.

"Well, it's nice to see you too." He joked.

"I have a seventh-period study hall as well. I saw you over here- like- dying over the science work, so I thought you might want some help." He said as he pulled a chair up next to me. 

I looked around to be sure Clay or Nick werent around, even though I knew they had P.E. together during seventh.

I sighed as I looked over at Darryl. He looked at me and studied my outfit.

"Whatcha listening to?" He asked, pointing to my earbuds.

I took out one and handed it over to him.

"You can listen if you'd like." I said as Darryl popped it in his ear.

"They're a band called AJR. They're not very popular, so you might not know them." I muttered, staring down at the table.

"Oh my god, no way! I love AJR!" He grinned.

I stared at him in shock as he listened to the song.

"I don't recognize this song.." He said, drawing little circles on the table.

"Most people don't. But It's Buy You A Rose from the I'm Ready Episode."

He nodded.

"It's actually really good. I'll add it to my playlist."

I smiled and picked up my pencil.

We started working on the project, and Darryl was actually really good at science.

We finished in no time, with about five minutes left before school got out.

"So.. Are you coming to the game tonight?" I asked as I shoved my folders into my backpack.

He hesitated before speaking.

"I don't know. I'm not really a big sports guy."

I brushed my hand against his.

"You'd get to see me play though~" I laughed, throwing my backpack over my shoulder.

"If you want to come, come. There's a party at Nicks afterward, and I'd love to see you there."

I winked at Darryl before leaving the library.

If I knew anything about him, I know he'll be there tonight.

For now, though, I just have to wait until the right moment.

Darryl

"Mom! I'm going to the football game tonight!" I yelled as I raced down the stairs.

She appeared out of her room and walked up to me.

"Okay. Have fun, be careful, and call me if anything goes wrong." She said as she handed me the ticket she had bought for me online.

"I will! Thanks! I love you!" I yelled as I walked out the garage door.

I decided to walk to the football field, as it didn't seem that far away.

The sun was starting to set, and the crisp, cool air blew leaves across the ground.

I could hear music playing loudly throughout the neighborhood as I approached the school.

This would be only the second football game I've gone to at this school.

Last time things didn't go.. well, to say the least.

I slid into the entrance line and got in no problem. Now the only struggle was finding a spot where I'd be able to see Zak.

I decided to sit in the front row, far away from the baseball field entrance and concession stands.

Tonight I was only here for Zak, not for any other silly things.

I didn't even tell Ant or Cara, even though I know they're going to be here.

They invited me, but I said no.

I feel kind of bad, leaving the two of them alone to instead come see Zak play football.

The game started, and I watched as kids flooded onto the field. I looked at each one, looking for Zak.

Once I finally spotted him, I smiled and waved.

He looked at me and grinned before focusing back on his teammates.

-

Halftime came quick, and Zaks team was losing zero to one.

I had been screaming and cheering so loud my throat was starting to hurt. I was also smiling the whole time like a complete idiot, but I was having a ton of fun.

As the band came out to play a song, I watched the players file off the field.

I jumped up and ran towards them. I jumped up on the railing and smiled at Zak. 

"You did great Zak!" I chirped.

His other teammates gave me questioning looks as I walked on the opposite side of the fence as him. 

"Thanks. I'm glad you came." He said, looking me up and down. 

He stopped walking and signaled his teammates to keep going as we stood there. 

"You look nice." 

"Thanks." I laughed. 

"Are you still coming to the party? It's going to be pretty fun."

I nodded my head.

"I sent you an email earlier with the address, I don't know if you saw it." Zak said, tracing his finger along the metal railing. 

"Yeah, I wrote it down in my notes so I wouldn't forget." I grinned. 

"Zak are you coming?" 

I glaced to his teammates who were impatienltly waiting. 

"Yeah one sec!" He yelled. 

"I'll see you later." He whispered, as he winked and walked away. 

My heart fluttered as I walked back to my seat and sat down. 

I couldn't wait for later. 

(Buy You A Rose by AJR is actually a really good song u should check it out ;))