Chapter Twenty One.

As I strode into the compound I was raging, and everyone could see it. I didn’t bother masking my expression, I was furious. Anyone who got in my way best be frightened.  My boots echoed against the concrete walls and I snarled at anyone who bumped into me.

I heard loud laughter in the mess hall and I knew exactly where Nightingale was. Looking down at the watch I realised that I only have twenty minutes to get the females out of that vault, because if I was right, Dan was going to kill them all when the guards switched.

Walking into the hall I instantly knew where Nightingale was. There was a table crowded with men. I walked up to the men on the outskirts of the crowd and pushed him aside. He protested but I just punched him in the face and kept pushing past them men. What can I say? When I get angry, I get physical and when I get physical, people get hurt.

“Nightingale.”  He totally ignored me and kept talking.

“You’re stupid to disregard the advice of someone much older with much more experience than you.” I hissed. “I was a hunter for seven centuries. I know how they think, how they fight. Yet you disregard my help? You are a truly more stupid and arrogant than I first thought.”

Nightingale looked up at me and fixed me with a glare. “I’m two hundred years old; I know what I’m doing Tannin. Just because you’ve killed countless wolves doesn’t make you an expert. In fact, I should have you executed for your crimes.” He said threateningly.

Smiling I grabbed the back of his shirt and hoisted him off his seat, dropping him on the cold cement floor on his ass; supernatural strength really did come in handy. Bending down at his level I glared at him. “You listen, and you listen good because I’m only going to say this one more time.” I grabbed his chin and forced him to look at me. “I will let the hunters kill you all if you don’t take me and my advice seriously. It’s wise not to threaten me your highness, because it’s never ended well for those that have; you are no exception.”

“And what, may I ask, bought this on?” He asked, shaking off my hand and standing up. “Because I’ve listened to every single arrogant thing that comes out of your crazy mouth. You should be thanking me for giving you a second chance instead of threatening me.” I couldn’t believe him. I had never been so tempted to leave and let them all die, get Nick, Alex, Dylan, Yiannis, Matthias and Marti out since Hunter and Jenna will be gone soon, and just leave. Rieker would live though and that what always stopped me.

“What bought this on is that you went against my direct advice, making it easier for my brother to kill the rest of the shifter females. Something that he’ll be doing in oh, about ten minutes.” I said looking down at my watch.

Nightingale snorted and shook his head. “You’re so full of it Tannin. I get that your family is so screwed up that your brother tried to kill you; this is your life we’re talking about, but I doubt that he’s the one who killed Candice. My men looked everywhere for him and we didn’t find one trace in the whole compound. The women are fine and my men can protect them.” He said.

I blew out a breath and shook my head. If he wouldn’t listen to me, then the men and women Dan would kill soon would be on his head. If, no when, they died it would be Nightingale’s fault and he might finally realise that just because he is king, doesn’t mean that he knows everything. When their bodies litter the ground and there is no sign of Dan, then I will be there and he will know how much he screwed up.

-

I sat on the small single bed I had managed to find looking at the opposite wall, waiting. It was one minute past three, a minute since the guards had swapped. Sighing I took out one of my knives and sharpened it. Even I knew that it was wrong to leave the women and guards in the vault to Dan’s mercy, I did anyway. They’re deaths were now on Nightingale. It would really damage his reputation when all the female werewolves died under his care, after he had been warned repeatedly. Snorting I shook my head, god damn these people. I’d changed, I’d developed morals and a conscience. Neither are good things for a person who makes their living lying and killing.