Tit For Tat

For the rest of the class, Mr. Brown was introducing the new unit. Which meant that he talked the whole period. We will have assigned partners and recite poetry of our choice to each other. Then we will annotate the poems and write an essay and hand them in.

Johnny kept doing little annoying things to infuriate me. He put his feet on my chair and started shaking my seat. But I wasn't going to give him a reaction. This motivated him even more to continue. Tommy laughed along with Johnny while seeing me slightly pissed. Which made me slap the back of his head. He turned to me and tried to hide the grin on his face, and managed to get a laugh out of me.

Johnny saw everything. He looked confused. Seeing as he got angry, he once again kicked my chair, but this time so hard he managed to kick it from under me. I fell off my chair. The side of my head plunged into the side of the table. My head hit the ground and started bleeding. ''What the hell?'' I called him out. For one short second he looked surprised, but then quickly added, ''Tit for tat.'' As he walked, away. Tommy helped me up and took me to the nurses' office, while making sure to hit Johnny's shoulder on the way out while shaking his head at him. Everyone was looking while Mr. Brown scolded Johnny. ''Detention Lawrence! For two weeks!'' he screamed.

''I'm sorry about him. I know he didn't mean that!'' Tommy said as we walked out the door.

''I'm sure he did mean it, and I definitely got the point.'' ''Which is?'' he suggested. ''Johnny is nothing more than a complete asshole. He can't just let me be, can he? Only because I stood up to him. He is an arrogant prick, and I'll never change my mind about that''

"He is actually not that bad if you get to know him. Why don't you give it a try?" He proposes
"Are you kidding? Why not just jump in a pool of sharks?"
"We've already done that! Come on Briar just think about it!"
" I'm not promising you anything!" I responded, closing his proposal.

The nurse cleaned my wound and sewed together the cut. I now had a permanent scar by the right side of my face. I had Johnny to thank for that. Not gonna lie it looked kind of badass, so I didn't make a huge deal out of this situation. I've had worse. I just wanted to avoid Johnny and his stupid games. I was tired. I've only known the guy for two days, and so much has already happened. He makes me sick.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up around midnight. Basically yesterday after the nurse's office the nurse proposed I go home and rest as the painkillers she gave me made me drowsy. My parents were shocked at the sight of me home. But even more so, shocked at the sight of my head bandaged. I'd told them I've hit a tree on my way out of class and that the tree looks worse than I do.

After my nap, I took off the bandage. I woke up to my parents arguing. My dad wasn't doing so well. He refused to take his medication and improve his diet, which made my mom furious. I snuck out of my window and climbed down the fire escape of our apartment complex. I decided to walk to the beach to clear my head a little. I couldn't take their arguments anymore.

As I watched the waves flow and the felt the cold California breeze on my arms, I noticed him.

Johnny.