17. "So dark, so deep the secrets that you keep."

☆:*'¨'*:..:*'¨'*:.☆

Everything happened so fast that I could barely register what had happened.

I soon realised I was running away from where he stood, as far as my legs could take me.

The cold wind smacked me across my face and forced my eyes to gather tears, but I refused to let them fall.

Although it was cold enough to burn my lungs like icy fire, I didn't feel the cold. Pain ran alongside me, urging me forward. I enjoyed the pain that burned in my lungs, my only reminder that I was still alive and I could still fight the mate-bond.

Happiness was only a distant memory. It felt as though half my soul tore away the moment I left Night Star, and now I feared I might never be able to see my pack again.

My pack was not weak by any means; they withstood rogue attacks and several attacks from smaller packs before, but if a large pack such as White Raven,  known to be ruthless and barbaric, attacks, I knew that would almost destroy them. I feared I would lose my loved ones. A lump caught in my throat at the thought, and I desperately urged my legs to run faster.

I arrived at a high point in the trail leading towards the mountains; I rushed towards it. The black starless night cast its dark cloak over me, hiding me from him. I could hear him a few miles back, his claws scraping against the forest bed, slow and languid, like a snake slowly circling its prey.

I barely managed to catch my breath, my tears finally managing to escape.

I ran along the jagged pathway up to a mouth of a small cave, hidden above the mines which snaked around the mountain. Large trees covered the opening, making it hard to see what was lurking inside. 

The hair on the back of my neck suddenly rose as I surveyed the cave before me. The dark sky seemed to make the cave appear more menacing.

Struggling to shake off my unease, I got closer and closer to the mouth of the cave. Suddenly, my blood turned to ice, and I was chilled to the bone, fear ringing in my eyes.

I smelled him before I saw his wide eyes flickering in the dark.

A boy no more than ten was huddled deep in the corner of the cave.

The boy was naked with dirt matting his  skin and long dark hair that reached his waist.  Deep scratches, which seemed self-inflicted, marred his body like tattoos. His spine was arched to form a deep crouch that seemed permanent.

The boy narrowed his eyes in a deathly glare and cocked his head to the side. His movements were animalistic, his eyes devoid of any human emotion.

Suddenly a loud snarling sound split the air as he lunged at me, and  at that moment, the boy no longer looked like a child but rather a monster.

I bit my lip hard, drawing blood, and shut my eyes, bracing myself for the attack. 

But it never came.

I opened my eyes to find the boy scampering  back to the corner of the cave, his wide eyes looking behind me in fright.

I whipped around to find Gabriel watching us, a mere shadow amid the dense dark brush. The foliage thrashed and swayed violently against his still body; his eyes glued to the boy behind me.