27. "I have long since closed my eyes, my only goal is the darkness."

27. "I have long since closed my eyes, my only goal is the darkness." (part 2)

☆:*'¨'*:..:*'¨'*:.☆

The warm shades of green and brown mingled together in the forest around me. Whilst the rest of the world held still, waiting for dawn, I ran so fast that the wind combed through my fur, and the trees became shadows that danced past my peripheral vision.

I was finally free, having escaped the human cage called an apartment, to run in my true form.

Free. I was free; I had escaped.

Lifting my head to the sky, I howled at the sight of dawn greeting the fading moon.

I kept a steady pace as I raced through the woods, travelling further and further away from human territories. My paws thundered against the squishy ground, large and powerful yet agile and silent at the same time. The ground soon turned hard with rich soil, and the air was untainted, saturated with nothing but early morning dew.

I took a deep lungful of the cold morning air as if I was gulping down a glass of cold water on the hottest day of the year. The chill cleared my mind, pulling me out of my spiralling thoughts and pushing forth logical reasoning. It suddenly made me rethink things, such as my hasty escape plan.

As I travelled through the rugged landscape - my love for freedom slowly dwindled. I soon came to regret my actions and my sudden outburst at Manuel's apartment. I had let my emotions get the best of me, and I was scared it would happen again.

But I felt as though, sooner or later; I would go crazy trying to stay away from Gabriel. My deteriorating mental health was inevitable, like facing death.

Although knowing deep in my heart that I didn't love him and never would, for a split second, the mate bond overran my human emotions and forced me to do things I would never do. I was now completely afraid of another beast besides the one I was mated to - my wolf.

The thought instantly debilitated my steps and made me hunch over at the sheer force. My wolf was a killing machine with brutal strength and agile speed, able to kill a human with a mere snap of its jaws, yet for the past few years since I was able to transform into the beast, it had benevolently allowed my human half to be in control of our emotions. I, as the human, was the more rational half, able to think logically and impartially without acting on impulse or primal instincts.

That was what I thought was our silent agreement up until the very moment at Manuel's.

I was suddenly scared of myself, scared that once again, I would let the mate bond override my decisions. I found myself growing wary of being in the skin of my wolf. I felt I could no longer trust the beast I shared half of my soul with.

I stood still, watching animals scatter away from the presence of a predator. I wanted to run with them - to run away from all of this - Gabriel, my mate bond, even my wolf. The silent agreement between my wolf and I - that my human half would have the final say over our emotions - was irrevocably broken. My wolf had betrayed me for our mate by acting on its impulsive carnal desires to hunt down its mate.