28. "Even though it's dark and cold there is always a shade of light."

☆:*'¨'*:..:*'¨'*:.☆

I followed behind Gabriel as he led me deep into one of the many mining caves that bordered his territory. The pack were left to dispose of the aftermath, which unfortunately gave us privacy to talk. As we walked, I struggled to find the right thing to say, but nothing came. I was still stunned by it all, left in a perpetual state of shock and fear. I had become so accustomed to fear, that adrenaline no longer coursed through my veins.

Gabriel walked ahead of me. I followed him through the cobalt walls, away from the outside world and through claustrophobic darkness. It was so dark I couldn't see the floor. I struggled to see my hands stretched out in front of me.

I blindly followed his scent before my supernatural eyes acclimated to the darkness.

The path that Gabriel led me through was steep and packed with dirt and coal. I tried to tread carefully, but a small rock still managed to work its way into my shoe and stabbed the heel of my foot every time we walked.

I felt the hairs rise on the back of my neck as the cobalt walls stretched around us. It felt like the walls were closing in on us as we walked further away from the light.

Gabriel suddenly picked up his pace, striding ahead and then swung around to face me, forcing me to stop too.

"You shouldn't be here," Gabriel growled, suddenly in my face.

I stared at him blankly, still reeling from everything that had happened.

"I told you to stay with Manuel." His glare was vicious, and his hands clenched into fists, making the tendons and veins more prominent. "Why did you come?" Gabriel demanded.

"I don't know." I shook my head. After everything that had happened today, I couldn't even remember why I wanted to come here, but I regretted it. "The mate bond...it hurt too much to be apart from you."

Gabriel was silent. He stared at me bitterly as if I was his biggest regret. 

I stared back, and an unbearable silence stretched out between us.

"You should learn how to bear it like I do." Gabriel swallowed thickly with a frown. "You'll get used to it after a while."

"So, does that mean you're sending me away again?"

Gabriel wordlessly nodded, pressing his lips into a straight line.

"But why?" I was annoyed. I felt like I was being passed back and forth, like a child with divorced parents, so much so that it gave me whiplash. "That man is dead, so why can't I stay here?"

"You think he's the only one?" Gabriel sniffed a dark laugh, his face twisting into something scornful. "I told you this before, The Seven want to kill me, and now that they know you're my only weakness, I can't have you around me."