Pomegranate Seeds and a Flower Crown

(don't forget to vote)

The witch smirked and spat out laughter.

"A child!?" she snarked, "what do you think i'm made of, magic??"

"W-Well yes.." the woman muttered.

Sighing the woman stood up and stood over the wife, smiling widely. Lashing her hand out she plucked golden hair from the wife's head. Grinning evilly she spoke.

"All right, but if i do this for you, you do something for me.."

TIME SKIP (1899)

Birds twittered in the air, water from a rushing river was heard roaring. The sun was at its brightest, beaming proudly in the cloudless sky. Under its warm rays deer frolicked, grazing lazily on the bank.

Besides the bank was a rocky patch, and on the rocky patch was a young girl, no more than 20, asleep on a flint sheet. Curled around like a cat, she snored softly, completely contempt with the warm sun around her naked shoulders and feet. The girl stirred softly, groaning softly as she awoke. The deer flicked their eyes towards the sleeping figure, not paying attention to her.

As she stirred, one of the deer slowly walked over and nuzzled her hair, snorting. The girl opened her eyes and giggled, and reached out a slim hand to pet the doe. She smiled contently, and softly closed her eyes and took in her surroundings mentally.

The perfect day, she hummed to herself.

She sat upright and her auburn red hair tickled her as it trickled down her back. She looked like a goddess, an off the shoulders white dress with navy blue floral patterns on the skirt. She rarely wore shoes so her feet were calloused, and her hair, oh her hair. It was red as a pumpkin, as red as autumn leaves from a maple tree fell gracefully to the cold winter ground. It was long and curly as ever, and was soft as silk. The hair fell to her middle back, and complimented greatly to her lapis blue eyes. And her skin was absolutely flicked and dotted with freckles, especially her face and shoulders. She was a beauty indeed, she was plucked straight out of a fairy tale.

The girl dramatically stretched, yawning as doing so. She finger-combed her hair and sung a soft song, closing her eyes. After combing her hair to her liking she began to braid it. Just a simple braid, but enough to make her look presentable. She finished braiding her hair, yawned once more and stood up. The deer sniffed her clothing as she dusted herself off, and plucking excess sticks and leaves from her dress. The girl turned to the river and dipped her feet in, and rubbed and scrubbed any dirt she may have collected from a nights rest. She sang a song again, gently smiling and feeling the cool water and small minnows rush around her ankles. She stepped from out under the shady bank and into a deeper part of the river, where she carried her dress and continued to sing.

She slowly let go of her dress and watched it sweep behind her as the rushing water gracefully carried it with the steady current. She bent down slowly, not caring if her dress would further get soaked, and washed her face. Standing up as her face is cold from the water, she glanced at the sky. It was around noon when she awoken, as far she could tell, and not a cloud in the sky.

A perfect day for a stroll, she thought.

Wading out of the cold, yet refreshing water, she hiked back onto the bank. Slipping on some wool stockings, she then put knee high leather lace up boots. Once done, she gave them a satisfying clack, and began her journey for the day.

The girl never stayed in one place, that's for sure. She was a wonderer, a traveler. Running from her past and from the desire to stay and settle. No, she wanted to see the beauty of the world. Every tree, every acre of forest, every creek and river, maybe even ocean. She wanted to see it all, and love it all.

As she hiked from the bank to a shallow area in the river made for crossing she cautiously made her way to the other side. The deer followed her and she looked at them with a satisfactory smile. The deer always kept her company. If it wasn't deer, it was the hogs that would roam around, maybe stray dogs, or even a family of bears wandering through. Never, ever, people though. She felt icky at the thought.

Too loud and aggressive, she commented silently.

People were nerve-wrecking to her, always being impatient and never wanted to explore. They always complained about being in the woods, and the animals that sheltered there. She found them as a pest, no need for humans.

As she hiked along the other side of the river, she walked on a well used road and started to hum to herself. The deer lazily walked behind her, some stopping to graze and others prancing behind her in a horribly made line. As she climbed a hill she started downwards, looking for things to do. Eventually she came across a sign on the side of the road pointing in a towns directions.

One way pointed in front of her and the towns name was carved into the wood.

Rhodes, she read, then looked to the other.

Valentine.

She decided to go to the Valentine village, deciding it might be closer. She walked with a purpose now, instead of wandering aimlessly, she went to find food and supplies.

She jingled a small pouch on her right hip, which held a few dollars worth in it. Sighing, she knew what this meant. Either begging or finding a job. Now, begging seemed too low for her so she decided a job wasn't too horrible. She closed the pouch and tied it tightly shut.

Her new life at this village was just beginning.

word count- 1008
don't forget to vote