Discovered

Faun peeked her nose out of the bush, only showing a flash of dark fur and her muzzle. The men stood there, puzzled and Hosea started to laugh.

"Looks like we have a visitor Charles!" he haughtily spoke, putting his revolver away in its holster.

"I don't know Hosea, dogs can be aggressive.. and especially a hungry one" he cautiously warned, not putting his knife away.

I mean, fair but damn.

"Aw don't be like that" he turned to the man "it's just probably lost and heard us making a racket"

Charles hesitated then slowly put the knife away, being confused and cautious at the sudden appearance of Faun.

Faun crept slowly out from her hiding place and stood up near the men, her tail tucked nervously under her belly.

"Look at the size of him! He looks like a wolf, jesus!What have you been eating big guy?" he rhetorically queried, smiling widely.

Charles widened his eyes too and took in the features of the dog, squinting his eyes he tilted his head some.

"I've never seen one of these dogs before, it's bigger than the others and its fur is scrappy. He may be a mutt" he commented.

Faun was taken aback and barked at the man and shook her head in disgust.

A mutt!? How DARE he!

"Along with not knowing what he is, he sure does have a temper" Hosea smiled.

The men sat back down at the fire, and Faun crept up to Hosea and sat politely next to him, swirling her tail around her feet. Hosea took notice and smiled again.

"Look at that! He has some manners.. Why, matter of fact SHE has some manners" he laughed loudly petting Fauns head roughly.

Faun grinned back and licked the man's hand in return, even earning a small smile from Charles.

"Are you hungry maam? We have some roasted deer if that'll suite your appetite Ms. Dog" Hosea offered jokingly and took a piece of the cooked meat from the skewer and held it in front of Faun, who graciously took it.

"She has to be a pet, there's no way a wild dog would behave this calmly around humans" Charles commented, not taking his eyes off of Faun.

"Dutch would love to see this- matter of fact why don't, in the morning course', take her back to camp, him and Jack would love her!" Hosea exclaimed enthusiastically.

Charles went quiet and thought about the decision.

"Let's give it a try. Jack could use a friend after all what happened with him and his father"

"Perfect! We'll head out first light then."

Faun yawned wildly, and snapped her jaws shut, tired after a long day. She was anxious about being a "pet" to a child, wanting and longing for her human form. But maybe she could manage for a while.

Maybe i could sneak back and forth, during the day i could be a pet and at night i could return to my human form..

She sleepily laid down next to Hosea, who prattled on about the mountains, the snow and apparently a man named Pearson and his cooking. She closed her eyes and eventually drifted off into a dreamless sleep.

word count: 543
dont forget to vote!