New Beginning

As the young girl walked down the dirt road towards the town Valentine, she had a twinkle in her eyes. The deer began to move along into the woods, leaving her alone. She never minded animals moving along without her, she enjoyed the solitude above everything.

Speaking of solitude, she could then hear a clacking of horse hooves striking the dirt. The sound was coming behind her, so she made way by stepping to her right to get off the road to not spook the animal. She walked slowly, and when she could tell the horse and it's rider were behind her, she turned over her shoulder.

A burly man with a paper-boy cap was riding the horse, in a blue union shirt with a leather hunters jacket. He had a small goatee, and looked like a very cold man.

Upon seeing the girl he brightened up, apparently being lost in his own thoughts. He slowly trotted beside the girl and took off his cap to give a friendly tip towards the girl.

"Hello there my dear! What's a lovely lady doing on this road alone?" he queried innocently, his voice loud and bold.

"I'm just walking alone sir, it's good to get exercise on foot y'know." she chirped, her words spoke with a soft yet appealing voice.

His eyes widened, which back then it's unlike a lady to be walking about. He clicked his tongue and give his eyes a wonder.

She a beauty, he thought, marveling at her face, and especially her beautiful hair.

"May i help you sir?" she asked him stiffly without looking at him, bound to continue walking forward.

"I-uh as a matter of fact you can!" he stated, "I'm on my way to work this lavish morning and since i came across you i wanted to let you know i am indeed available for assistance" he broadly announced.

"Isn't that so" she softly spoke, quiet as a mouse.

"Indeed" he purred, hoping to strike a bargain with the young lady.

"And what" she paused, finding the right words, "service... do you have?"

"Well, it's unusual, but a pretty young lady such as yourself would benefit from it, guaranteed!" he smiled widely.

"Mind telling a 'pretty young lady' what the business is?" she heckled, sounding slightly irritated.

"A working girl" his rumbling voice poked at her, winking.

"Oh! Well i never!" she stopped in her tracks and glared at the man with her lapis eyes. She slapped her hands down on her dress, making it billow some, "You sir are a horrible man! Leave me at once! I demand you!" she cursed, wishing she never engaged with the man.

"Now don't be such a brat, missy" he snarled, growing irritated.

"Leave me alone!" she cried, stomping away into the woods, wanting to find peace without this pesky man.

"Oh go trip and fall you bitch!" he cursed back, kicking his horse he thundered away, muttering and cursing as he went.

As the young lady stepped carefully through the briar and sticks for a while, she eventually came across a clearing into a field. The other side of the field was a town, as it wasn't far from where she was standing. A small house was seated to her right, a little down from the field and across a ditch. In front of her was a nice little town. It had dirt roads with buggies and carriages going in and out of the main street, and a stable was to her left in the town, along with a blacksmith.

As far as she could see the town contained a stable, butcher, a produce market, a church, and a sheriffs office. To compliment the sheriffs office there was a gallows on top of a hill beside the church. She shivered at the sight but quickly ignored it.

She tided up her dress and pulled sticks from her hair. Seeing how stringy and loose her braid had become she undid it. Her red hair flew out of the braid and gracefully fell around her shoulders and back. She shook her head once to be rid of any leaves in her hair and combed through it with her hands. After separating it and combing it out, she pulled a top layer of it and put it into a half up and half down fashion, hopefully looking somewhat presentable.

She made her way through the field and onto a road that ran outside of the open butcher shop and fruit stands. She looked around her, and after being fussed by a carriage driver for almost hitting her, she took in her new surroundings.

Walking past the many selections of fruits and meats from the stands, she went around the main road, which split off to her right into a busier section of town. Down the busier road, she had men and women eyeing her strangely, mainly at her features. Taking no notice, as everyone eyed her hair and face, she continued until she stopped in front of a hotel, which was 2.00$ a night. Deciding that's where she'll stay for a couple of nights until she found work, she headed up the wood stairs and porch and made her way inside.

word count: 880
don't forget to vote!