A New Friend

Arising from the soft and comfortable bed she sat up with a quickness. She gathered herself and made it around the bed to the window. Onlooking outside she gazed along at the different stores that could offer her a potentially new job. Locking eyes with a stable, she thought, maybe she could help out with the horses and livestock.

As if they'd take a woman in the first place, she sourly thought.

Nevermind that, what i need to do is find something i would be good at.

She locked eyes with a busy butcher down selling meat at the corner of the main road across from the stable.

Aha! Hunting! she thought, remembering her days alone in the forest with a quiver and bow the natives of the area lent her, and teaching her to survive and adapt on her own. She fondly looked back on her memories. Mentally shaking her head she got up and made her way to the door of the room. Locking it behind her she headed downstairs, and soon out the door of the hotel.

She weaved in and out of the bustling life of the town, dodging carts and buggies, and many folk trying to get on with their day. She soon found her way to a general store and groped her satchel, praying there would be enough for a bow.

The bell to the general store rang with clarity that a new customer had arrived, and the shopkeep, a stocky yet pudgy man glanced upwards at her.

"Well! Welcome, Miss! How may i be of service to a young lady such as yourself?" he exclaimed happily.

She nodded her head politely at the man and approached the counter before her, and placed her arms on it and leaned in.

"Do you sell bows here, sir?" she queried

"Why, we do matter of fact. Is it for you or as a gift Miss?"

"For me, actually"

"Ah! well, we surely don't see enough women trying these type of things these days, now do we" he joked, trying to not make offense of his words.

She nodded drily, hoping this conversation would cease or better yet, take a new path. As she waited for him to come back with the bow she rested her head on her hands and hummed a small tune to keep herself entertained. Soon enough the shopkeep came back with the bow and laid it upon the counter.

It was nothing special, just a simple bow with arrows to accompany it. Holding it up, she tested the durability and flexibility of the weapon, slowly pulling the string back and slowly leading it back to its original stance.

A sturdy bow for a general store she thought.

"How much?" she asked

"20 bucks and it's yours" he stated

"20!? Sir i surely do not have that much money on my person" she cried, setting the weapon down, shame engulfed her, feeling embarrassed that she came here expecting a low quality price.

"Listen. You can have it for free if you do me a favor" he sighed, obviously not wanting another second of her cries.

"Which is" she commented, disgust making its way to her face as she remembered her last encounter with an "offer of work" from another man.

"There are some boxes that need unpacking in the back, if you can put the merchandise out on the shelves out here, IN the correct slots, i will give you the bow for free" he bargained.

"That is a mighty fair deal Mister" she smiled, thanking the gods that she struck a bit of luck.

"You got yourself a deal then Miss" he stated, shaking her hand.